1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with integration (1) involving integration by parts etc

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve for indefinite integral of
    (7x^3)/sqr(4+x^2)(dx)

2. Relevant equations
    I just can't seem to find the right solution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, we can just factor the 7 out of the integral for now since it is only a constant.
    the inverse square root of (4+x^2) looks like arctan(x/2).
    So I set 1/(4+x^2) up as dv, and so V would equal arctan(x/2). U is then x^3, and du is 3x^2.
    However, the integrals just don't seem to simplify. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

how about looking at trig substitution - in particular what trig identity could simplfy the denominator

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Substitution again. Try u=x^2+4. You have a left over x^2 in the numerator. But x^2=u-4. Try the easy stuff before you resort to the hard stuff.

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4
    I did it, and ended up with the integral of (u^2-4u) over square root of u, all multiplied by the constant 7/2. After a lengthy algebra session, I ended up with a huge answer, that wasn't correct... What did I do wrong?

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I ended up with basically (u-4)*du/sqrt(u) forgetting the constants. What did you do? I think you have an extra u in the numerator which doesn't belong there.

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6
    Ah, there we go. I forgot to take out an x for du. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook