Help with integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}. The suggested method is partial fraction integration, which involves splitting the integral into terms that are easier to integrate. Another simpler method is using u-substitution, where u=x^2+2x and du=2(x+1)dx. Both methods yield the same answer of 0.5 ln|x| + 0.5 ln|x+2|.
rty640

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what method to use. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

You have to use partial fraction integration which involves splitting the integral into terms that are easier to integrate. After pulling an "x" from the bottom of the original integral you get INT (x+1)/x(x+2)

After splitting and such:

x + 1 = A(x+2) + Bx

Plugging in clever values for x we will get that A & B both equal 1/2

Substituting back into our original problem we will have the INT of .5/x + .5/(x+2) which will yield an answer of 0.5 ln|x| + 0.5 ln|x+2|

I'm assuming you know how to use partial fraction integration. If not, respond back and i'll try helping you further.

Hope that helps!

Try taking the derivative of the denominator :wink:

IntegrateMe's answer is the same as what you would get if following my advice. By the way, that method is unnecessarily complicated :tongue:

Haha, Mentallic, i don't really know any other way to do it.

Can you please explain a simpler way, i'd like to know how to solve these problems quicker!

You've been taught partial fractions but not u-substitution?

In any case, let u=x2+2x

Then du/dx=2x+2 and du=2(x+1)dx

Substitute u and du back into the integral accordingly - remember that there is no 2 in the integral so you'll need to make it du/2=(x+1)dx. Now it's simple to integrate (and don't forget to substitute u=x2+2x back into your answer!)

^_^

It's strange having an "x" in your "u-value" but i guess that way is easier. Thanks :)

Thank you very much!

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity or acceleration.

2. Why do I need help with integration problems?

Integration problems can be complex and require a good understanding of mathematical concepts. It is not uncommon to need help with integration problems, especially when dealing with advanced or multi-dimensional problems.

3. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include using basic integration rules, such as the power rule and substitution, as well as more advanced methods like integration by parts and trigonometric substitution.

4. How can I improve my integration problem-solving skills?

To improve your integration problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any resources available for help with integration problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for help with integration problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and math tutoring services. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer free tutoring services for students struggling with integration problems.