Help with LM2596 IC Burnout Issue

• Thread starter Akmalidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the LM2596 chip is supposed to step down a 16v input to 5v for use in bicycle tail lights, but it is getting burned. The chip may have been damaged in the past by being connected to a high voltage generator, or by being turned off while the battery was still supplying power. The rectifier should help to reduce or eliminate voltage spikes. Sophie taught me that some little bicycle lighting generators are nothing more than a permanent magnet alternator, sans regulator or controls. If that's the case, the dynamo may produce 60v at high RPM when electrical demand is low.
Akmalidin
Hi,

I have been using lm2596 recently for my project and encountered weird issue with it.
I am using it to step down the voltage from my bike dynamo which is 16v down to 5V for my front and back tail lights. But it is getting burned I guess when I ride the bike and I had 3 times changed the lm2596 IC. Therefore, I don't know what is wrong with it. when it crashed, there was short circuit between in and out pin. Here is my schematics. Please let me know your opinions and give advice.

upload_2017-3-28_23-58-1.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
- Is that dynamo reliable? Without voltage peaks/sparks? DC?
- I could not find what this chip does when Vin < Vout. The datasheet suggests some external circuitry for undervoltage lockout, this might suggest that it has no protection for it?

Likes Akmalidin
Akmalidin said:
I am using it to step down the voltage from my bike dynamo which is 16v down to 5V for my front and back tail lights.
How certain are you that the dynamo produces +DC and not AC or –DC ?
The LM2596 should survive 40 volts input.
Maybe install a power diode between the generator and the reservoir capacitor, C1. Monitor that capacitor voltage to identify the maximum input voltage to the LM2596.

Akmalidin said:
I am using it to step down the voltage from my bike dynamo which is 16v down to 5V for my front and back tail lights. But it is getting burned I guess when I ride the bike and I had 3 times changed the lm2596 IC.
Bike? As in motorcycle?
Dynamo? As in brushed DC generator? What is the nature of its voltage regulator?
If turning off the ignition key disconnects your dynamo from your battery (as on some old dynamo equipped Harleys) you can expect a very large voltage transient at the dynamo when you switch off the ignition. Try a big rectifieir across input to your 2956, cathode to positive .

If instead your "dynamo" is the rectified 3 phase permanent magnet alternator typical on modern bikes, be aware that in absence of voltage regulator they can put out 60 volts at high RPM when electrical demand is low.

That's two possibilities for you to investigate.

Last edited:
Yes , dynamo is reliable. And I am using bridge rectifier with filtering capacitor and lm2596 input capacitor also helps to reduce/eliminate the picks.

Hi, I am certain that it produces +Dc since i am using bridge rectifier and capacitor. Ok I will try to put diode.

Is there any way to make a constant current source for 5v 1.5 A regardless of voltage change in dynamo?

Can you give the make, model and year of your bike or the generator?
Do you know if it is a generator or an alternator?

sophiecentaur taught me that some little bicycle lighting generators are nothing more than a permanent magnet alternator, sans regulator or controls.
That of course would produce AC . Filtering would be the thermal lag of incandescent head and tail lamps.
We've no idea what he has.

Akmalidin said:
Hi, I am certain that it produces +Dc since i am using bridge rectifier and capacitor.

There's no bridge rectifier shown on your drawing. Would you add it, and values of your components?
Akmalidin said:
I am certain that it produces +Dc
It's what we think we know that gets us in trouble.

Related to Help with LM2596 IC Burnout Issue

1. What is the cause of LM2596 IC burnout?

The most common cause of LM2596 IC burnout is overheating. This can be due to excessive current draw, poor thermal design, or a faulty IC.

2. How can I prevent LM2596 IC burnout?

To prevent LM2596 IC burnout, it is important to ensure proper thermal design and cooling. Limiting the current draw and using a heatsink can also help prevent overheating. Regularly checking for any faulty components can also prevent burnout.

3. Can a damaged LM2596 IC be repaired?

In most cases, a damaged LM2596 IC cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced. Attempting to repair a damaged IC can result in further damage and potentially cause safety hazards.

4. How do I know if my LM2596 IC is burnt out?

The most common sign of a burnt out LM2596 IC is that it will no longer function properly. This can manifest as a complete failure or erratic behavior. In some cases, the IC may also show visible signs of damage such as discoloration or a burnt smell.

5. Are there any alternative ICs that can be used instead of the LM2596?

Yes, there are other ICs that can be used instead of the LM2596. Some popular alternatives include the LM2576 and LM7805. However, it is important to note that each IC has its own specifications and may not be suitable for all applications.