Help with Logarithms: Find x When 2lnx=xln2

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary: Oh I think I know what is wrong. It is because I did the derivative to both side, so I got the stationary point instead of the turning point. Is that right?If that is right, then I learned something new today! You are a good teacher!In summary, the conversation involves solving the equation 2lnx = xln2 where x cannot equal 2. The solution is found by manipulating the equation and taking the derivative on both sides. However, one of the solutions found is incorrect due to an illegal move. The correct solution is x = 4. The conversation also touches on concepts such as turning points and derivatives.
James889
I have [tex]2lnx = xln2[/tex]
where [tex]x\ne2[/tex]

if you start by dividing both sides by ln2
is the following legal?

[tex]\frac{2lnx}{ln2} \rightarrow x = 2ln(x-2)[/tex]

[tex]e^{2ln(x-2)} = (x-2)^2[/tex]

[tex]x = (x-2)^2 \implies x = 4[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused at what you've done.

Did you manipulate [tex]\frac{2lnx}{ln2}[/tex] and turn it into [tex]2ln(x-2)[/tex]? Because this is generally not correct.

From what I can gather, you've just fluked your way into breaking a rule but still finding a solution for x. That equation isn't simple to solve.

Hm,

[tex]\frac{ln~x}{ln~y} \implies ln(x-y)[/tex]

?

James889 said:
I have [tex]2lnx = xln2[/tex]
where [tex]x\ne2[/tex]

if you start by dividing both sides by ln2
is the following legal?

[tex]\frac{2lnx}{ln2} \rightarrow x = 2ln(x-2)[/tex]

[tex]e^{2ln(x-2)} = (x-2)^2[/tex]

[tex]x = (x-2)^2 \implies x = 4[/tex]

[tex]2lnx = xln2\Rightarrow \frac{d[2lnx]}{dx}=ln2\frac{dx}{dx}\Rightarrow \frac{2}{x}=ln2\Rightarrow x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]

Last edited:
yungman said:
You miss the left hand side.[tex]e^{x}=(x-2)^2[/tex]

[tex]2lnx = xln2\Rightarrow \frac{d[2lnx]}{dx}=ln2\frac{dx}{dx}\Rightarrow \frac{2}{x}=ln2\Rightarrow x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]

Hm, no!

James889 said:
Hm, no!

Then tell me what did I do wrong. You follow step by step what I did?

Last edited:
James889 said:
Hm,

[tex]\frac{ln~x}{ln~y} \implies ln(x-y)[/tex]

?

No, you have it completely backwards... :smile:
[tex]\ln\left(\frac{x}{y}\right) = \ln x - \ln y[/tex]

but this isn't going to help actually solve the equation.

Hint: review the rules for manipulating logs. One of the says that
A ln(B) = ____?​

Bohrok said:
No, you have it completely backwards... :smile:
[tex]\ln\left(\frac{x}{y}\right) = \ln x - \ln y[/tex]

but this isn't going to help actually solve the equation.

I got fool too! And I destroy all the evidence already!:smile::-p

I did it differently and I still don't see why he claimed my answer in #4 was wrong!

yungman said:
I got fool too! And I destroy all the evidence already!:smile::-p

I did it differently and I still don't see why he claimed my answer in #4 was wrong!

He claimed it was wrong because it is wrong...

You took the derivative and solved for that. Yeah you found the turning point, but not a root of the original equation.

You seem to be thinking that d[2lnx]/dx = 2lnx. It's not. It's equal to 2/x.

No no, yungman never asserted that. What he did was correct, but only for finding the turning point of [itex]y=2lnx-xln2[/itex].

It's kind of confusing with all the arrows and equals signs, so I'll clear it up:

[tex]2lnx = xln2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d[2lnx]}{dx}=ln2\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{x}=ln2[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]

But again, it doesn't help finding the solution x=4 to this problem (which btw, the OP found by an illegal move)

if the problem is just as simple as solving the equation for x then just raise everything to the e.

e^(lnx)^2=e^(ln2)^x this trivializes and is simple to solve.

cap.r said:
if the problem is just as simple as solving the equation for x then just raise everything to the e.

e^(lnx)^2=e^(ln2)^x this trivializes and is simple to solve.

Yes so you have [itex]x^2=2^x[/itex] but really, this isn't as simple to solve as you claim. It's just that we are lucky enough to have nice integer solutions for x>0. If we ignored the domain on the original equation and tried to instead solve this one, you can only get a numerical approximation for the solution in [itex]-1<x<0[/itex]

Mentallic said:
No no, yungman never asserted that. What he did was correct, but only for finding the turning point of [itex]y=2lnx-xln2[/itex].

It's kind of confusing with all the arrows and equals signs, so I'll clear it up:

[tex]2lnx = xln2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d[2lnx]}{dx}=ln2\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{x}=ln2[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]

But again, it doesn't help finding the solution x=4 to this problem (which btw, the OP found by an illegal move)

You loss me about "turning point"! What is a turning point?

Who said that the answer is x=4? James concluded x=4 with a wrong assumption that [tex]\frac{lnx}{ln2}=ln(x-2)[/tex].

I conclude [tex]x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]...which is a constant number.

Mentallic said:
Yes so you have [itex]x^2=2^x[/itex] but really, this isn't as simple to solve as you claim. It's just that we are lucky enough to have nice integer solutions for x>0. If we ignored the domain on the original equation and tried to instead solve this one, you can only get a numerical approximation for the solution in [itex]-1<x<0[/itex]

Yes I tried that and didn't go no where!:smile:

yungman said:
You loss me about "turning point"! What is a turning point?

Who said that the answer is x=4? James concluded x=4 with a wrong assumption that [tex]\frac{lnx}{ln2}=ln(x-2)[/tex].

I conclude [tex]x=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]...which is a constant number.

You know about derivatives but not turning points?

But the answer is x=4. Just try it (and btw, 4 is a constant number too :-p)

[tex]xln2=2lnx[/tex]

[tex]4ln2=2ln4[/tex]

[tex]RHS=2ln(2^2)=4ln2=LHS[/tex]

So x=4 is a solution. And x=2 is too, but not 2/ln2.

Mentallic said:
You know about derivatives but not turning points?

But the answer is x=4. Just try it (and btw, 4 is a constant number too :-p)

[tex]xln2=2lnx[/tex]

[tex]4ln2=2ln4[/tex]

[tex]RHS=2ln(2^2)=4ln2=LHS[/tex]

So x=4 is a solution. And x=2 is too, but not 2/ln2.

I self study most of my calculus! Things sounds common to you might not be to me! The only other class I took was ODE and I have people laughing at me on some stuff too!:-p But I was the first in class for the semester.

Do you mean the point that the function turn from a convex to a concave? I remember I read something about it a few years ago. But still never heard of turning point!

I still don't get why my method don't produce the answer. I know I got that by taking the derivative on both side, I have seen work problems using this method. Do I have to keep bitting my nails and wait until James come up with the answer??

yungman said:
I still don't get why my method don't produce the answer. I know I got that by taking the derivative on both side, I have seen work problems using this method. Do I have to keep bitting my nails and wait until James come up with the answer??
It's because [tex]f(x)=0[/tex] and [tex]f'(x)=0[/tex] generally have different solutions. When you differentiated, you got a new equation, and its solution is not a solution to the original equation.

vela said:
It's because [tex]f(x)=0[/tex] and [tex]f'(x)=0[/tex] generally have different solutions. When you differentiated, you got a new equation, and its solution is not a solution to the original equation.

Thanks, I got it.

This is where I am at:

[tex]xln2=2lnx\Rightarrow x=\frac{2}{ln2}x[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{x}{lnx}=\frac{2}{ln2}[/tex]

It is easy to see x=2. I still don't see x=4.

The original equation was 2ln(x)= x ln(2). I don't see where anyone has yet pointed out that this equation cannot be solved in terms of elementary functions. It can, of course, be written as [itex]ln(x^2)= ln(2^x)[/itex] and then [itex]x^2= 2^x[/itex] and that looks like, with some manipulation, it could be solved in terms of "Lambert's W function".

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see where anyone has yet pointed out that this equation cannot be solved in terms of elementary functions. It can, of course, be written as [itex]ln(x^2)= ln(2^x)[/itex] and then [itex]x^2= 2^x[/itex] and that looks like, with some manipulation, it could be solved in terms of "Lambert's W function".

These were my feable attempts to do so:
Mentallic said:
...That equation isn't simple to solve.
Mentallic said:
...you can only get a numerical approximation for the solution in [itex]-1<x<0[/itex] (for the equation [itex]x^2=2^x[/itex])

Yungman, a turning point is the point at which the gradient of the curve becomes zero. i.e. if the curve has a negative gradient but at some point it "flattens out" with 0 gradient and either becomes positive or negative again after that.

e.g. the curve [itex]y=x(x-1)[/itex] has roots at [itex]x=0,1[/itex] but it has a turning point at [itex]x=0.5[/itex] which you can find by taking the derivative and solving for when [itex]f'(x)=0[/itex].
This is what you did previously.

EDIT: Never mind! Clearly x>0 is required in the equation given in the OP. :redface:

[STRIKE]I'm not quite sure why there is all this discussion of f'(x)=0. We have an equation to solve for x, as given in the OP. Discounting the x=2 solution, there are two more values of x that solve the equation. We have found x=4, but there is one more solution to find.[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]x2=2x[/STRIKE]​
[STRIKE]It looks like a numerical approach is needed to find the negative solution. James889, what numerical techniques (if any) have your professor discussed?[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

Related to Help with Logarithms: Find x When 2lnx=xln2

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a fixed number, called the base, must be raised to produce a given number.

2. How do I solve for x in a logarithmic equation?

To solve for x in an equation such as 2lnx=xln2, you need to isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation. This can be done by using the properties of logarithms, such as loga(b) + loga(c) = loga(bc), to simplify the equation.

3. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is a logarithm with the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. What is the difference between ln and log?

The difference between ln and log is the base of the logarithm. Ln uses the base e, while log can use any base, such as 10 or 2. Additionally, ln is commonly used in calculus, while log is used in other areas of mathematics and science.

5. How can I check my solution to a logarithmic equation?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if both sides are equal. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the logarithms separately and compare the results.