Maximizing Output in a Factory: Finding the Optimal Number of Employees

• Thread starter khopcraft
  • Start date
In summary, the optimal number of employees to hire in order to maximize the total output is 650, with an output of 422,500 sticky notes. The equation for output is f(x)=1300x - x^2, where x is the number of employees. The maximum efficiency can be found by using the quadratic formula or completing the square.
khopcraft
The question I have received is this:
There are 50 employees in a factory. Each person produces 800 sticky notes. For each additional worker hired by the factory, the output per person drops by 10 sticky notes. How many people should be hired by the company in order to maximize the total output of workers?
(Hint: create an equation for output or production)

Basically, I am stuck with getting the equation for output. I can get an equation that works, but I don't think it will help me solve the rest of the problem. I got this equation:
f(x)=(800 - (x-50)(10))(x)
where x is the number of employees.

If I do this, I can get the total output, but I don't think I can find the maximum efficiency without plugging in numbers many times over, till I find the one that is the maximum.

So can someone help me get the proper equation? Or if that is the proper equation, could I please be pushed in the right direction as what to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi khopcraft! welcome to pf! :wink:
khopcraft said:
where x is the number of employees.

that looks fine :smile:

it's a quadratic equation , so to maximise it either use calculus or complete the square :wink:

Hi, thanks for the welcome, and the quick reply. I am a little confused as to how to use the quadratic formula with this, as there are no squared variables and such.

Sorry, its been a while since I have done this.

= (1300 - x)x

= 1300x - x2

Ouch, it was simple mathematics. Thanks a ton. You sir, are awesome.

1. How can I increase the efficiency of my production process?

There are several methods for maximizing output in a production process. Some strategies include implementing lean manufacturing principles, utilizing automation and technology, optimizing workflow and scheduling, and regularly evaluating and improving processes.

2. What role do employees play in maximizing output?

Employees are a crucial component in maximizing output. They should be properly trained, motivated, and engaged in the production process. Incentives and recognition can also help improve employee productivity.

3. What impact does technology have on output?

Technology can greatly increase output by automating tasks, reducing errors, and improving overall efficiency. It also allows for the collection and analysis of data, which can help identify areas for improvement.

4. How can I balance quality and quantity when trying to maximize output?

Balancing quality and quantity can be achieved by setting clear quality standards and continuously monitoring and improving processes. This includes implementing quality control measures and involving employees in the quality control process.

5. How do I determine the optimal level of output for my business?

The optimal level of output will vary depending on the specific goals and resources of a business. It is important to regularly review and analyze data to determine the most efficient level of output for your business to achieve maximum profitability.