Projectile Motion Help: Calculating Vo, V, Angle of Launch and Angle of Impact

In summary, the water rocket went 30.2m in 1.73 seconds and with that information, we can find the initial velocity (Vo) to be approximately 19.41 m/s, the velocity at impact to be approximately -8.477 m/s, the angle of launch to be approximately 25.9 degrees, and the angle of impact to be approximately 154.1 degrees. The calculations for these values involve dividing the projectile motion in half and examining only the last half of the trip. By doing so, we can solve for Vo and V using the equations V=Vo-gt/2 and 0=Vo sin (\theta) - g\frac{t}{2}, respectively.
ballahboy
hi I am new to the board..
my class recently did a lab using water rockets as projections. Our rocket went 30.2m in 1.73 seconds. can u guys help me find Vo, V, angle of launch and angle of impact? i need help on this a lot. can u guys also show me the steps in doing this.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
30.2 m in th x direction?

If so

this may work
I am tired so please forgive me if I error

[tex] 30.2=Vo*cos(\theta)t [/tex]

[tex] let A = Vo*cos(\theta)=\frac{30.2}{1.73}[/tex]

[tex] 0=Vo sin (\theta) - g\frac{t}{2} [/tex]

[tex] let B = g\frac{t}{2}=Vo sin (\theta)[/tex]

[tex] Vo=\sqrt{A^2+B^2} = \sqrt{ (\frac{30.2}{1.73})^2+(g\frac{t}{2})^2) }
[/tex]

[tex] Vo = apprx: 19.406 [/tex]Keep exact value call C

[tex]30.2=Vo*cos(\theta)t[/tex]
[tex] 30.2=C*cos(\theta)1.73[/tex]

[tex] \frac{30.2}{C*1.73}=cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex] cos^{-1}(\frac{30.2}{C*1.73})=(\theta)=approx 25.9 degrees[/tex]= angle of lanuch

angle of impact should be 154.0 from outside
impact should simply be

[tex] V=Vo+at [/tex]

take it from when projectile is at max height onward

[tex] V=0-g\frac{t}{2}[/tex]
[tex] V=-8.477 m/s [/tex]

Last edited:
ballahboy said:
hi I am new to the board..
my class recently did a lab using water rockets as projections. Our rocket went 30.2m in 1.73 seconds. can u guys help me find Vo, V, angle of launch and angle of impact? i need help on this a lot. can u guys also show me the steps in doing this.
thanks

Summary

Vo, V, angle of launch and angle of impact

Vo: approx 19.41 m/s
V= approx -8.477 m/s
Angle of Launch approx 25.9 degrees
Angle of Impact approx 154.1 degrees

wow thank u so much

sorry I am still confused, how did u get this 0=(Vo sin theta)-g*t/2

also y is Vo=0 at the bottom but we proved it was 19.41?

Last edited:
ballahboy said:
sorry I am still confused, how did u get this 0=(Vo sin theta)-g*t/2

also y is Vo=0 at the bottom but we proved it was 19.41?

We divide the projectile motion in half and only examine the last half of the trip... since it is a smooth parapbolic path, the time it takes to go from the top to the bottom will be half the total time.

When you examine it at the top peak of its height to the bottom, at the peak the Vo will be zero because there is no velecity.

so then to get V you would have the velocity of impact you would get V=Vo-gt... but t in this instance is the total t in half. so V=0-gt/2

-------------------------------------
for
[tex] 0=Vo sin (\theta) - g\frac{t}{2} [/tex]

I did the same dividing stat, I just decided to examine the first half of the trip.
We know the final velocity will be 0 at the top so I just solved it that way... again t would be in half this time.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject to gravity and air resistance. It follows a parabolic path due to the forces acting on it.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile, you can use the formula v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is the time in seconds.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and slows down a projectile. This means that a projectile will not travel as far as it would in a vacuum due to the drag force.

4. How can I use projectile motion in real life?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as sports (like throwing a ball or shooting a basketball), launching a rocket into space, and designing roller coasters. It is also used in military technology, such as missiles and bombs.

5. How does the angle of release affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of release, also known as the angle of elevation, can greatly affect the range of a projectile. The optimum angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows for the greatest distance without being hindered by air resistance. Any angle above or below this will result in a shorter range.