Help with prototype, hooking up sensors and a pump to a circuit?

In summary, the conversation revolves around an inventor seeking help in building a prototype for his project involving hygrometers and an air pump. He has no background in physics or computers and is looking for a cost-effective and simple solution. A fellow user suggests using an Arduino board as a microcontroller, which is easy to use and has a large community for support. The inventor expresses his gratitude and excitement for this helpful suggestion.
Calvin55
Hello,

I'm working on an invention in which I'm trying to build a prototype for. I have very little physics background and nothing in computers which is why I've sought help here. The project seems very basic, but I have no idea where to start.

I need help hooking up two hygrometers (digital humidity sensors) and an air pump together to some sort of simple computer. The goal is to get the air pump turned on for five minutes when the there is a discrepancy of 5% or more humidity from one sensor to the other. That's it. So say the inside is at 45% relative humidity and the outside is is at 30%. I would want the pump to turn on for the allotted amount of time and then off again for a while until there is another humidity discrepency. So I guess I need some sort of board or computer type thing to hook all these things to.

I'm building this prototype by buying $15 hygrometers and a $30 dollar air pump. I'm also thinking maybe I need a timer which plugs into the wall and to the air pump. Maybe the timer will be easier to hook up to the central board? I'd like it to be as cost effective and simple to put together as possible. I have no idea where to begin. I hope this post was clear and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Calvin

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the best way to implement this in an easy and cost effective way is to go with an Arduino board ($30) for your microcontroller. http://www.arduino.cc/

It's very easy to use, programming it is a snap and the community is very large if you need some help.

wow, looks like what I needed. I'm going to dive right in and see how this works. Thanks!

Man, you are like GOLD! Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate the help.

1. How do I choose the right sensors for my prototype?

Choosing the right sensors for your prototype depends on the specific needs and requirements of your project. Consider factors like the type of data you want to collect, the accuracy and precision needed, and the environment in which the prototype will be used. Research and compare different sensor options to find the best fit for your project.

2. How do I connect sensors to a circuit?

The method of connecting sensors to a circuit will vary depending on the type of sensor and the circuit itself. In general, you will need to identify the power, ground, and signal pins on the sensor and match them with the corresponding pins on the circuit. It is important to refer to the datasheet or manual for both the sensor and circuit to ensure proper connections.

3. Can I use any pump with my prototype?

It is important to select a pump that is compatible with your prototype's circuit and sensors. Consider factors like voltage and current requirements, as well as the type of pump (e.g. diaphragm, peristaltic, etc.) that best suits your project's needs. It is also important to properly connect and control the pump within the circuit.

4. How do I test and calibrate my prototype's sensors?

To test and calibrate your prototype's sensors, you will need to collect data from them and compare it to known values or standards. This can involve using test equipment like multimeters or oscilloscopes, as well as conducting experiments in controlled environments. Calibration may also involve adjusting the sensor's settings or code to improve accuracy and precision.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my prototype when working with sensors and a pump?

Safety should always be a top priority when working with any electronic components, including sensors and pumps. Make sure to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to double-check all connections and wiring to prevent short circuits or other hazards. If you are unsure about any aspect of the process, consult a professional or experienced individual for guidance.