How to Relate Formulas for Calculating Force Between Charges

• Thread starter chemboy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between distance, net charge, and force between two charges. It is mentioned that when the distance between the charges is doubled, the effect on net charge is 0.25 of the original force, and the force is increased by 6 times. The participants also consider the formulas Fe = 1/r^2 and Fe = q1q2/r^2 to mathematically show this relationship. The concept of proportion is highlighted as a method to solve any formula and the speaker expresses concern over the mathematical aspect of the problem.
chemboy
if the following takes place simultaneously

distance betwen two charges is doubled and one charge is doubled and the other is trippled how do I set this up mathmatically

I understand that when distance doubles (r) then the effect on net charge is .25 of original F
also
I understand that the force betwen charges when increased as mentioned above, there will the force will increase by 6X

Im thinking simply the answer is 6X the force X .25 but there must be a way to relate the formulas Fe = 1/r^2 and Fe = q1q2/r^2 to show this

If I knew what r was then I could use Fe = kq1q2/r^2

Im worried this is a mathmatical problem and not that I don't understand the theory behind the physics.

any help??

will it end up something like

F = (9.0 X 10^9N*m^2/C^2) X 6(6.0X10^-8 N) / 4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this:

if a=2b and c=4b then what mathematical operation does one have to do to know how many times c is larger than a?

Hi chemboy! :smile:
chemboy said:
I understand that when distance doubles (r) then the effect on net charge is .25 of original F
also
I understand that the force betwen charges when increased as mentioned above, there will the force will increase by 6X

Im thinking simply the answer is 6X the force X .25 but there must be a way to relate the formulas Fe = 1/r^2 and Fe = q1q2/r^2 to show this

Yes … that's completely correct! :smile:

You looked at the formula q1q2/r², and you correctly said "it's proportional to q1 and to q2, and inversely proportional to the square of r … so it's 2 x 3 / 4".

This "proportion" method works for any formula! :biggrin:

Why are you worried? :confused:

What is the purpose of asking for help with a question?

The purpose of asking for help with a question is to gain a better understanding or clarification on a certain topic or concept. It allows individuals to seek guidance and assistance from others who may have more knowledge or expertise in the subject.

How do I ask for help with a question effectively?

To ask for help with a question effectively, it is important to provide as much detail as possible about the question and what you are struggling with. This can include specific examples, any background information, and the specific areas you need assistance with. It is also important to be respectful and open to receiving feedback and guidance.

Who can I ask for help with a question?

You can ask for help with a question from a variety of sources, such as a teacher, a tutor, a classmate, or even online forums and communities. It is important to seek help from someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject area to ensure accurate and helpful responses.

What should I do if I still don't understand the answer to my question?

If you still don't understand the answer to your question, it is important to communicate this to the person who provided the answer. They may be able to explain it in a different way or provide additional resources for you to further understand the topic. It is also helpful to continue practicing and seeking help until you have a strong understanding of the concept.

Is it okay to ask for help with a question?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a question. In fact, seeking help and clarification is an important part of the learning process. It shows that you are actively trying to understand the material and are open to receiving guidance. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed!