1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with question

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    if the following takes place simultaneously

distance betwen two charges is doubled and one charge is doubled and the other is trippled how do I set this up mathmatically

I understand that when distance doubles (r) then the effect on net charge is .25 of original F
    also
    I understand that the force betwen charges when increased as mentioned above, there will the force will increase by 6X

Im thinking simply the answer is 6X the force X .25 but there must be a way to relate the formulas Fe = 1/r^2 and Fe = q1q2/r^2 to show this

If I knew what r was then I could use Fe = kq1q2/r^2

Im worried this is a mathmatical problem and not that I dont understand the theory behind the physics.

any help??

will it end up something like

F = (9.0 X 10^9N*m^2/C^2) X 6(6.0X10^-8 N) / 4

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    Consider this:

if a=2b and c=4b then what mathematical operation does one have to do to know how many times c is larger than a?

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi chemboy! :smile:
    Yes … that's completely correct! :smile:

You looked at the formula q1q2/r², and you correctly said "it's proportional to q1 and to q2, and inversely proportional to the square of r … so it's 2 x 3 / 4".

This "proportion" method works for any formula! :biggrin:

Why are you worried? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook