Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with Satellites and Grav.

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The planet T is a planet of mass M and radius R, and very thin atmosphere (no air resistance). A rail gun has been mounted on the surface of T at the North Pole. A projectile of mass m is fired form the rail gun with an unknown speed vo at an unknown angle θ with respect to the local horizontal. The projectile is observed to rise to a maximum height above the surface of ¼ R. At this maximum height the projectile has a speed of 75.0 m/s. If M=1.5 x 10^20 (such that GM=1.0 x 1010 Nm2/kg) and R=200km, find vo in m/s. and the launch angle θ.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    F=(GMm)\R^2
    ma=(GMm)\R^2
    a=(v^2)\r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that F=ma, and Gravitational F=(GMm)\R^2 so ma=(GMm)\R^2 , a in rotational is a=(v^2)\r , so I would set m((v^2)\R)=(GMm)\R^2 . Yet is v in this equation the one they want? In finding the θ once I found the v would there be components in the x and y direction? Can I find it that way? Thank you very much for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem doesn't say that the projectile is an a stable [circular] orbit at this point, so that means that it may not obey circular motion. I would say that you would be expected to use conservation of energy here. It would be useful to note that at maximum height vy=0.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    Can see what you are saying about consevation of energy, but how will that help me with finding vo

5. May 8, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hootenanny, I don't think that it is possible here to work with a y axis. By the time the projectile has reached the maximum height, it will be at a point that may be so far from the original point that the y axis has changed quite a bit compared to the initial y axis, if you know what I mean.

I think one must use conservation of energy (with [itex] - \frac{G m M }{ r} [/itex] of course ) but one must also use angular momentum to answer this question.

Just a thought.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  6. May 8, 2007 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think your right nrqed, I've just reread the OP and with a maximum of height of R/4, my method isn't valid. Good catch, hopefully the OP will read this before he/she starts work on it. My apologies newtonistheman :redface:, time to get some sleep I think...:zzz:

7. May 9, 2007 #6
    How should I go about finding the angle?

8. May 9, 2007 #7
    Try this way

1. Conservation of energy: potential+kinetic energy conserved

===> relation of v0 and vmax==>v0

2. Conservation of angular momentum (due to central force)

===> relation of v0cos(theta) and vmax==>theta

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook