Discovering the Slope of a Secant Line with Examples

In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope of a line that connects two points, (0,2) and (x, 2^x+1), for x ≠ 0. The equation for finding the slope is rise over run. The attempt at a solution involves graphing at different x-values and using limits to find the slope of the secant line, but it is not necessary. The final solution is 2^x-1/x.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the line that joins P (0,2) and Q (x, 2^x+1) for x ≠0. type the expression using x as a variable.

Homework Equations

Rise over Run?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a picture of the graph but i don't really know what to do, Please help.
I graphed it at x= -3, -2 and -1 cause that was part 1
Okay so i just had a thought in my mind. So we can use limits to find the slope of the secant line, So would i use The limit of 2^x+1 as x approaches 0. But then the slope would be 1, And how would i write the expression in terms of x.
So for when x=-1 the rise/run is .5/1
x=-2 rise over run is .75/2
and when x=-3 rise over run is .875/3
but now how would i do the expression part?

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
need to show some work, why not compute the slope as you said rise over run

Just rewrite Q (x, 2^x+1) as Q(x)=2^x+1 and find your secant line at that point.

Last edited:
sasuke07 said:

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the line that joins P (0,2) and Q (x, 2^x+1) for x ≠0. type the expression using x as a variable.

Homework Equations

Rise over Run?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a picture of the graph but i don't really know what to do, Please help.
I graphed it at x= -3, -2 and -1 cause that was part 1
Given two points on a line, do you know how to get the slope?

sasuke07 said:
Now find the slope for the line passing through points (0,2) and (x, 2x+1 )

Yes, there will be a variable involved.

SammyS said:
Now find the slope for the line passing through points (0,2) and (x, 2x+1 )

Yes, there will be a variable involved.

couldn't i just use the limit of 2^x+1 as x approaches 0 to find the slope?

sasuke07 said:
couldn't i just use the limit of 2^x+1 as x approaches 0 to find the slope?
The slope of what?

the slope of the secant line

SammyS said:
The slope of what?

doesn't the secant line connect those 2 points, so can't i figure out the slope using limits

sasuke07 said:
doesn't the secant line connect those 2 points, so can't i figure out the slope using limits
You don't need to take any limits. You're finding the slope of a line, given two distinct points, one of which has coordinates given in terms of x.

SammyS said:
You don't need to take any limits. You're finding the slope of a line, given two distinct points, one of which has coordinates given in terms of x.

Thanks a lot for the help.
the answer was 2^x-1/x.

FAQ: Discovering the Slope of a Secant Line with Examples

1. What is a secant line?

A secant line is a line that intersects a curve at two or more points. It is used in calculus to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do I find the equation of a secant line?

To find the equation of a secant line, you will need two points on the curve. Use the slope formula (change in y over change in x) to calculate the slope, then use the point-slope form of a line to plug in the slope and one of the points to find the equation.

3. What is the purpose of a secant line?

The purpose of a secant line is to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the average rate of change of a function over a given interval.

4. Can a secant line ever be tangent to a curve?

Yes, a secant line can be tangent to a curve if the two points used to create the line are very close together, making the secant line essentially a tangent line at that point.

5. How does the length of the secant line affect the accuracy of the slope approximation?

The shorter the length of the secant line, the closer it will be to the actual slope of the curve at the point of intersection. As the length of the secant line approaches zero, it becomes a tangent line and the slope approximation becomes more accurate.

Back