Help with Set questions please

• Thread starter Flook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving set operations, specifically listing the members of two sets (i and ii). The first set (i) involves generating fractions using elements from set A as the numerator and denominator. The second set (ii) is similar but only includes fractions that simplify to be integers. The conversation also clarifies that the results do not have to be in set A.
Flook

Homework Statement

Hi, I need help with a couple of Set questions I just can't get my head around.

The question starts with:

Let

A = (-1, -2, 1, 2, 3, 5)

List the members of the following sets:

i) (x [itex]\in[/itex] R: x = m/n for m, n [itex]\in[/itex] A)

ii) (x [itex]\in[/itex] Z: x = m/n for m, n [itex]\in[/itex] A)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

R will be real numbers and Z will be integers? I just can't seem to understand the rest. Any help ould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Flook said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I need help with a couple of Set questions I just can't get my head around.

The question starts with:

Let

A = (-1, -2, 1, 2, 3, 5)

List the members of the following sets:

i) (x [itex]\in[/itex] R: x = m/n for m, n [itex]\in[/itex] A)

ii) (x [itex]\in[/itex] Z: x = m/n for m, n [itex]\in[/itex] A)

The Attempt at a Solution

R will be real numbers and Z will be integers? I just can't seem to understand the rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

For i:

Generate all of the fractions you can make from the elements of set A, but using one element for the numerator and one element (possibly the same element) the denominator.

For ii:

Do the same as for part i, except you keep only the fractions which simplify to be integers.

Thanks for your response!

So for i)

I use A = (-1, -2, 1, 2, 3, 5) and make fractions, every possible combination?

-1/-2 = a half 1/2, but I wouldn't list that as it is not in set A?

so next would be -1/1 which is -1, so that is in set A?

I still don't get it I think.

No, the results don't have to be in A! You need to form all possible fractions- as the problem said, m/n with both m and n from A. All of those will be in (i) but only those that reduce to integers will be in (ii).

Ahh ok thank you HallsofIvy!

What is the purpose of set questions?

The purpose of set questions is to gather information and data from individuals in a systematic and structured manner. This can help researchers understand patterns, trends, and relationships between variables.

How do I formulate effective set questions?

To formulate effective set questions, it is important to clearly define the objectives of the research and the target population. Questions should be clear, concise, and relevant to the research topic. It is also important to avoid biased or leading questions.

Can I use open-ended or closed-ended questions in a set?

Both open-ended and closed-ended questions can be used in a set, depending on the research objectives. Open-ended questions allow for more in-depth and diverse responses, while closed-ended questions provide more specific and quantitative data. It is recommended to use a combination of both types of questions for a well-rounded set.

How many questions should be included in a set?

The number of questions in a set can vary depending on the research objectives, but it is recommended to have a minimum of 10 questions and a maximum of 20. It is important to keep the set concise and to only include questions that are necessary for the research objectives.

How should I analyze the results from a set?

The results from a set can be analyzed using various statistical methods, depending on the type of data collected. Some common methods include descriptive statistics, chi-square tests, and regression analysis. It is important to have a clear plan for data analysis before conducting the set.