Help with sigma notation where the top value is x?

In summary: It's called "gcd" and it stands for "greatest common divisor." You can find it in most programming languages, and it's basically a function that will tell you the smallest number that divides two other numbers evenly. In this case, it would tell you the smallest number that divides 2 and 12 evenly. So, the answer to the question is 4.
rkell48

Homework Statement

In each case, x is an integer between -6 and 6 inclusive.

Homework Equations

x
Σ 2i =12
i=1

The Attempt at a Solution

2x1 = 12 + 2x2 = 12 +...+2x(x) = 12

Physics news on Phys.org
I surmise you to be saying x is an integer and lies somewhere between -6 and +6. Correct?

So I'd read it as the sum of all terms, 2*i
for all integer values i starting from 1 and stepping through to x
but stopping when that sum equals 12.

Sure, you don't initially know the value of x, but it's the only unknown in the puzzle, so you can discover what value it must have, readily enough.

BTW, it is not a good idea to use the character 'x' for both multiplication and the unknown in the same line! There are plenty of alternatives to choose from. 2(1) + 2(2) + ...
is as good as any. But if you can find a typeface with a large dot that sits well above where decimal points get positioned, then (preferably where there are no decimal points) you can use that large dot to denote multiplication. Or on the web, you can simply use an
asterisk.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
I surmise you to be saying x is an integer and lies somewhere between -6 and +6. Correct?

So I'd read it as the sum of all terms, 2*i
for all integer values i starting from 1 and stepping through to x
but stopping when that sum equals 12.

hmm? i genuinely have no idea of what you said..

Last edited:
rkell48 said:

Homework Statement

In each case, x is an integer between -6 and 6 inclusive.

Homework Equations

x
Σ 2i =12
i=1

The Attempt at a Solution

2x1 = 12 + 2x2 = 12 +...+2x(x) = 12

When x = 0 we are summing 2*i for i from 1 to zero, so get 2*1 + 2*0 = 2.
When x = 4 we are summing 2*i for i from 1 to 4, so we get 2*1 + 2*2 + 2*3 + 2*4 = 20, etc. When x = -5 we are summing 2*i for i going from 1 to -5, so we get 2*1 + 2*0 + 2*(-1) + 2*(-2) + 2*(-3) + 2*(-4) + 2*(-5). So, for any integer x between -6 and 6 you can do the sum, and you want to find out which x (if any) leads to a sum = 12. You could do it by a brute-force approach, trying every x, but there are quicker ways. However, the first step is to understand what the question is asking.

RGV

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and has a lower and upper limit, with the numbers inside the sigma representing the values to be summed.

2. How do I interpret sigma notation?

To interpret sigma notation, you start by replacing the variable (usually represented by "i") with the lower limit value. Then, you evaluate the expression inside the sigma using this value. Next, you replace the variable with the next consecutive value and evaluate the expression again. This process continues until the upper limit is reached, and then you add up all the evaluated values to get the sum.

3. What does the top value in sigma notation represent?

The top value in sigma notation represents the upper limit or the final value that the variable will take before the expression is evaluated. This value is typically indicated by a number or another variable.

4. How do I find the sum using sigma notation when the top value is x?

When the top value in sigma notation is x, you will need to first find the value of x. This can be done by solving the expression inside the sigma using the given variable. Once you have the value of x, you can then follow the steps for interpreting sigma notation to find the sum.

5. Can sigma notation be used for any type of series?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for any type of series as long as there is a pattern or rule for determining the values to be summed. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and other sciences to represent infinite series, sequences, and other mathematical operations.