Help with Sliding Box Question

In summary, if the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor is .53, then the pushing force, P, will cause sliding. If the pushing force, P, is increased by an amount that causes tipping, then the pushing force, P, will cause tipping.
NGamer
A box is 8 ft high, 4 ft deep, and 6 ft wide and weighs 270 lb. A worker pushes on the box at a location along the width and 5 ft above the floor. The coefficient of friction between the box and the floor is .53. 1) Determine what value of the pushing force, P, will cause sliding. 2) Determine what value of the pushing force, P, will cause tipping.

This is an ungraded question for class. I do not have a physics background so am unclear how to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this situation, according to the magnitude of applied force, the normal reaction force shifts towards the point about which the box has a tendency to rotate so as to balance the torque applied by the external force (how?...The wieght that still acts vertically downwards at centre of mass will start opposing the rotation. If Normal reaction stayed there, it would have canceled the force Mg) Even if the normal shift, from free body diagram, ##N=Mg##.
Along the horizontal direction,##F-\mu Mg=Ma##
If you apply force on the left side of the box, the box will try to rotate about the bottom right corner and so you can apply the torque equation as well about that point.
you now have enough info for solving first part.

for second part, the normal will try hard to stop rotation and will move to the edge. That will be the limitting case. Normal can't move out of the box. Now the forces that can create torque is mg and F (Normal and friction act along that point).
So if the edge of cube is a and b is the distance from corner to the point where F is applied, this equation gives the value of F.
$$Fb=mg\frac{a}{2} $$

While I appreciate your insight, I am still very confused - esp based on barrel examples that I've reviewed.

So are you advising to complete the formula, F - μMg = Ma...if so, I'm still unclear...like: F - 0.53(270 lb)(32.2 ft/s^2) = ?

NGamer said:
So are you advising to complete the formula, F - μMg = Ma...if so, I'm still unclear...like: F - 0.53(270 lb)(32.2 ft/s^2) = ?
You don't need any substantial acceleration, the tiniest will do. So you can set the acceleration to zero.
For the second part, draw a free body diagram. (If you don't know how to that, read up on it. It is an essential skill.) Assume it is just starting to tip.

By the way, this belongs in Introductory Physics, not Advanced.

Thanks! Apologies for it being in the wrong section...like I said, no physics experience, but learning.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

What is the sliding box question?

The sliding box question is a physics problem that involves a box resting on an incline and sliding down due to the force of gravity. It is commonly used to test a person's understanding of concepts such as friction, acceleration, and forces.

How do I solve the sliding box question?

To solve the sliding box question, you will need to use the equations of motion and principles of Newton's laws of motion. First, identify all the forces acting on the box, including gravity, normal force, and friction. Then, use these forces to calculate the acceleration of the box and its final velocity at the bottom of the incline.

What is the role of friction in the sliding box question?

Friction plays a crucial role in the sliding box question as it is the force that opposes the motion of the box. Without friction, the box would continue to slide down the incline without stopping. The amount of friction depends on the roughness of the surface and the weight of the box.

What are the common mistakes made when solving the sliding box question?

One common mistake when solving the sliding box question is forgetting to account for the direction of the forces. It is important to remember that forces can act in both the positive and negative directions. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or incorrectly setting up the problem.

Where can I find more practice problems for the sliding box question?

You can find more practice problems for the sliding box question in physics textbooks, online resources, and past exam papers. It is also helpful to work through similar problems and practice using different scenarios to solidify your understanding of the concept.