What diode is recommended for a low current, low voltage application?

• Thread starter techlist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, In designing a prototype surface mount board, a ME had to use SMT components which were unfamiliar to them. They needed to have a uP "wake on change" from one of 2 switch presses and used a pair of diodes to share a single wake on change pin. They asked for recommendations for an inexpensive diode and were suggested the BAV70, a dual diode in sot23 package. However, they needed a common anode and were suggested the BAT54A, a schottky diode with similar specs. The only concern was its higher reverse leakage, which can be mitigated by reducing the value of pullup/pulldown resistors.
techlist
Greetings:

I recently made my first prototype surface mount board. In designing it, all the SMT components were foriegn to me. I'm a ME, not and EE and my projects are fairly straightforward microprocessor based designs. I chose components similar to old standbys I've used with through hole designs.

I needed to have a uP "wake on change" from one of 2 switch presses. I had 3 available inputs and only one of those had the wake on change feature.

So, I used a pair of diodes to "share" the single wake on change pin withthe switches, and tied each switch to the other 2 pins. When a switch is pressed, it signals the wakeup pin (via one of the diodes), and it's own pin. The diode prevents the current from passing to the other switch's pin. The uP wakes, then polls the switch pins to see which of the 2 woke it up.

I need an inexpensive diode for this job. There won't be any significant current through this, only the leakage current on the uP pin I think. The switch's ground a pulled-up uP line. It's a 3V (2 AAA batteries) powered, the pullups are 100k. When a switch is depressed it changes the shared pin from pulled up 3V, to grounded.

It all works fine but I initially chose a S1A diode from Fairchild (SMA package). When it arrived I found the SMA is large and bulky compared to my other components, overkill at 1A 50V.

Can someone recommend a good, inexpensive diode for this job. I would prefer it be:
a) smaller
b) cheap or as cheap
c) low V drop so a low battery can still show a "high" on the shared pin after the V drop through the diode.

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
BAV70 is a dual diode in sot23.

It's common cathode, but common anode duals are also available.

Perfect. Thanks very much!

The sot23 has the advantage over the SMA in that it won't roll off the board...

zeitghost said:
The sot23 has the advantage over the SMA in that it won't roll off the board...

Agreed :) I am thrilled to get rid of the 2 SMA's and replace them with a single SOT23. I already have 2 other SOT23 (mosfets) on my board so I'm familiar with them. I only have to make a minor change on my schematic and PCB layout.

I do need a common anode though. Now that I have a clue what to look for I found a BAT54A. It's listed a as Schottky, which I think is good for my app. Except for common anode, and a 30V rating instead of a 70V rating, it's specs are identical to the BAV70 you suggested. And it's price is the same. The BAT54A only has a Vf of 0.24V at low current (0.1mA) which I think I fall into (1 uA)

The 30V is well within my 3.2V from my (2) AAA's so I think it will be OK for the app.

I saw some other common anode's listed (e.g. MMBD1205, BAS35), but they appear to be oriented to higher current apps and have apparently higher Vf's.

Think the BAT54A will work OK or should I find one rated higher?

Thanks agian very much for the help.

Scott

Sounds ok to me.

The only problem with a schottky is likely to be the reverse leakage, which is considerably higher than that for an ordinary Si diode.

Probably won't make much difference in your application, but if it does, then reduce the value of pullup/pulldown resistors.

1. What is the purpose of a diode in SMT technology?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in one direction and blocks it in the opposite direction. In SMT technology, diodes are used to protect electronic circuits from reverse polarity, voltage spikes, and other types of electrical disturbances.

2. How do I choose the right SMT diode for my project?

When selecting an SMT diode, there are several factors to consider, such as the maximum voltage and current ratings, forward voltage drop, and switching speed. It is important to consult the diode's datasheet and match its specifications with the requirements of your project to ensure proper functionality.

3. Can I use any type of diode in SMT technology?

No, not all diodes are suitable for SMT technology. It is important to choose diodes specifically designed for surface mount applications, as they have smaller package sizes and can be easily mounted on the surface of a circuit board.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when selecting SMT diodes?

One common mistake is selecting a diode with a lower voltage or current rating than what is required for the circuit. This can lead to the diode being damaged or malfunctioning. It is also important to pay attention to the diode's polarity and ensure it is placed in the correct orientation on the circuit board.

5. Can I use multiple SMT diodes in parallel to increase the current handling capacity?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple SMT diodes in parallel to increase the current handling capacity. However, it is important to ensure that the diodes are well-matched and have similar specifications to avoid unequal current distribution among them.