How to Determine Dry Unit Weight and Porosity of a Soil?

• Thread starter KAISER91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soil
In summary, the given soil has a moist weight of 16.5 kN/m^3 with a water content of 15% and specific gravity of 2.67. Using the given information, the dry unit weight is 14.35 kN/m^3 and the porosity is 0.452. To find the degree of saturation, we use the formula se=wG[s] and then multiply the result by 100%, giving a degree of saturation of 48.5%. Finally, to determine the mass of water needed to reach full saturation, we would need to multiply the total volume of the soil by the difference between the degree of saturation and the current water content, giving a mass of 233 kg/m
KAISER91
Help With Soil Questions...

Homework Statement

Any help will be appreciated.

The moist weight of a soil is 16.5 kN/m^3. Given w = 15% and Gs = 2.67
determine;

(a) dry unit weight
(b) porosity
(c) degree of saturation
(d) mass of water, in kg/m3, to be added to reach full saturation

Answers are;
[14.35 kN/m3, 0.452, 48.5%, 233 kg/m3]

Homework Equations

Note that γ = gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at solutions, I'm having trouble with the last 2 questions.

a) dry unit weight

Gs = 2.67
γw = unit weight of water = 9.81
e = 0.826

yd = (Gs * γw * 1) / (1 + e)
γd = (2.67*9.81*1) / 1 + 0.826

= 14.35 kN/m^3
b) Porosityn = e / 1+ e
n = 0.826 / 1 + 0.826
n = 0.452

c) degree of saturation?
d) mass of water, in kg/m3, to be added to reach full saturation
?
Help will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For part c) use the formula se=wG and then multiply your answer by 100%. You should get the correct answer.

1. What is soil?

Soil is a natural resource made up of minerals, organic matter, water, and air. It is the top layer of the Earth's surface, and it is essential for plant growth, water filtration, and nutrient cycling.

2. How can I improve the quality of my soil?

There are several ways to improve soil quality, such as adding organic matter, tilling or aerating the soil, and using fertilizers or soil amendments. It is also important to test the soil's pH and nutrient levels and make necessary adjustments.

3. What are the different types of soil?

The three main types of soil are sand, silt, and clay. These types vary in their particle size and composition, which affects their ability to hold water and nutrients. Other soil types include loam, peat, and chalk.

4. How do I know which type of soil I have?

You can determine your soil type by conducting a simple soil texture test. Take a small amount of moist soil and try to form a ball. If the soil falls apart, it is sandy. If it forms a smooth ball, it is loamy, and if it forms a sticky ball, it is clay. You can also send a sample to a soil testing laboratory for a more accurate analysis.

5. How can I prevent soil erosion?

Soil erosion is the process of soil being washed away by water or blown away by wind. To prevent it, you can plant vegetation, such as grass or trees, to hold the soil in place. You can also use erosion control methods, such as terracing or mulching, on sloped areas. Proper soil management, such as avoiding over-tilling and using cover crops, can also help prevent erosion.