1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with solving this differential equation?

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(3y4-11x2y2-28x4)dx-(4xy3)dy=0

2. Relevant equations

My=Nx if equation is exact, if not, I can make it exact (I hope) by finding an integrating factor. The problem is I can't get the integrating factor to be a function of x or y only.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let stuff in front of dx=M
    Let stuff in front of dy=N

My=12y3-22x2y
    Nx=-4y3
    My-Nx=16y3-22x2y

First try (My-Nx)/N=(16y3-22x2y)/4xy3

Not a function of x only.

Then (My-Nx)/-M=16y3-22x2y/-(3y4-11x2y2)

Not a function of y only.

Am I using the wrong method to solve this question? I don't see any other way to go about it rather than turning this into an exact equation. Why can't I find an integrating factor that has a pure x or y expression?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

M(x,y) and N(x,y) are both homogeneous of degree 4. So y = ux will make a separable equation of it.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I haven't quite learned that yet. Do you mind elaborating a little? Is that another technique for solving differential equations? Something called substitution, maybe?

Thank you

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A function ##f(x,y)## is homogeneous of degree ##n## if ##f(\lambda x,\lambda y)
    =\lambda^nf(x,y)##. What ##n## works for your ##M## and ##N##?

Try the substitution ##y = ux,\quad dy =xdu + udx##.

[Edit, added later]: I see I forgot to tell what this type of DE is called. If is called a first order homogeneous equation. Unfortunately, this is not the same meaning of the term as when applied to a linear DE with 0 on the right side, where we refer to homogeneous vs. non-homogeneous equations. In the setting of your problem, it refers to the ##M## and ##N## being homogeneous in the above sense.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Sep 18, 2012 #5
    [solved]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. Sep 18, 2012 #6
    Nevermind I made a mistake, that's why I thought I couldn't turn the last one into an exact one.

Thank you once again! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook