Help with solving this differential equation?

In summary, the student is attempting to solve a first order homogeneous equation by finding an integrating factor, but is struggling to find one with a pure expression in x or y. They are then advised to use the substitution method of y = ux to make the equation separable. This type of differential equation is known as a first order homogeneous equation, where the functions M and N are homogeneous of degree 4. The student later realizes their mistake and is able to solve the problem.
lillybeans

Homework Statement

(3y4-11x2y2-28x4)dx-(4xy3)dy=0

Homework Equations

My=Nx if equation is exact, if not, I can make it exact (I hope) by finding an integrating factor. The problem is I can't get the integrating factor to be a function of x or y only.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let stuff in front of dx=M
Let stuff in front of dy=N

My=12y3-22x2y
Nx=-4y3
My-Nx=16y3-22x2y

First try (My-Nx)/N=(16y3-22x2y)/4xy3

Not a function of x only.

Then (My-Nx)/-M=16y3-22x2y/-(3y4-11x2y2)

Not a function of y only.

Am I using the wrong method to solve this question? I don't see any other way to go about it rather than turning this into an exact equation. Why can't I find an integrating factor that has a pure x or y expression?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
M(x,y) and N(x,y) are both homogeneous of degree 4. So y = ux will make a separable equation of it.

Sorry, I haven't quite learned that yet. Do you mind elaborating a little? Is that another technique for solving differential equations? Something called substitution, maybe?

Thank you

A function ##f(x,y)## is homogeneous of degree ##n## if ##f(\lambda x,\lambda y)
=\lambda^nf(x,y)##. What ##n## works for your ##M## and ##N##?

Try the substitution ##y = ux,\quad dy =xdu + udx##.

[Edit, added later]: I see I forgot to tell what this type of DE is called. If is called a first order homogeneous equation. Unfortunately, this is not the same meaning of the term as when applied to a linear DE with 0 on the right side, where we refer to homogeneous vs. non-homogeneous equations. In the setting of your problem, it refers to the ##M## and ##N## being homogeneous in the above sense.

Last edited:
[solved]

Last edited:
Nevermind I made a mistake, that's why I thought I couldn't turn the last one into an exact one.

Thank you once again! :)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function or a set of functions with their derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space, based on its rate of change.

Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and describe many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, motion of objects, and electrical circuits. By solving these equations, we can predict and understand the behavior of these systems.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. The method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

How do I know which method to use to solve a particular differential equation?

The choice of method depends on the type of differential equation and its initial/boundary conditions. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then apply the appropriate method or formula to solve it.

What are the applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, economics, biology, and other fields. They are used to model and understand various natural phenomena, as well as design and optimize systems and processes.