Help with Topic on Causality and Speical relativity

In summary, a killer could use the principle of special relativity to argue that, in a certain reference frame, his/her victim died before the killer fired the gun, thus avoiding a murder charge. However, this argument would only be useful if it had a larger than shadow of a doubt likelihood in order for it to be useful for the defendant to forward it.
Chaste
Hi all, this is part of my assignment where I have to write an essay of a range of 6000-8000 words.
Here goes : Consider the concept of causality. Could a killer use the principle of
special relativity to argue that, in a certain reference frame, his/her victim
died before the killer fired the gun, thus avoiding a murder charge?

I need points to draft an outline of this topic

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaste said:
Hi all, this is part of my assignment where I have to write an essay of a range of 6000-8000 words.
Here goes : Consider the concept of causality. Could a killer use the principle of
special relativity to argue that, in a certain reference frame, his/her victim

I need points to draft an outline of this topic

What are your thoughts on the topic?

LowlyPion said:
What are your thoughts on the topic?

Actually, I have no idea yet. Perhaps, defining SR principles and theory behind causality?
Besides, am I right to say that in a preferred reference frame, the victim may have died of shock even before the killer pulled the trigger?

read up on time-like and space-like paths.

Chaste said:
Actually, I have no idea yet. Perhaps, defining SR principles and theory behind causality?
Besides, am I right to say that in a preferred reference frame, the victim may have died of shock even before the killer pulled the trigger?

Anything is possible of course, but if your purpose is to use Special Relativity to postulate insufficient causal link between a defendant's actions and some criminal act, then for legal purposes (applying the laws of physics to the laws of Cesar), you have to demonstrate that it has a larger than a shadow of a doubt likelihood in order for it to be useful for the defendant to forward it.

In your example, will a victim dying of shock at the sight of the bullet in flight toward them be sufficient to argue defendant was not culpable?

Hi all, I'm back and need help for this topic.
Is there a specific reference frame such that the murderer's victim

Now we all know practically, it's impossible to beat the speed of light. However, according to our theoretical imagine, assume we can beat it...

I'm thinking of such a scenario:

Victim is on an automated vehicle traveling faster than speed of light. He is traveling towards the killer who shoots a laser beam at speed of light. There is a witness behind the murderer and all 3 of them are collinear. The order from left to right is the victim on the vehicle, then the murderer and lastly the witness.

From my judgement, when the murderer shoots laser gun, this is event 1. Event 1 propagates in both direction towards the witness and the victim coming towards it at faster than speed of light. The death of victim is denoted by event 2, which is traveling faster than speed of light. Therefore, theoretically speaking, event 2 will reach the witness first before event 1 does. That means, the witness actually witnessed the murder before he saw the laser gun was fired.

Am I right? Did I miss anything out? I know I have to take into account of length contraction... where the victim traveling faster than speed of light actually may be invisible to the witness as he passes by.

1. What is causality and how does it relate to special relativity?

Causality refers to the relationship between cause and effect, where a cause is an event that leads to a particular effect. In special relativity, causality is a fundamental principle that states that the cause of an event must always precede the effect in all reference frames. This means that the order of cause and effect cannot be reversed, and the speed of light is the maximum speed at which causality can be propagated.

2. How does special relativity challenge our understanding of causality?

Special relativity challenges our understanding of causality because it introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction. According to special relativity, an observer's perception of time and space is relative to their frame of reference. This means that two observers in different frames of reference may experience different sequences of events, leading to a potential violation of the principle of causality.

3. Can causality be violated in special relativity?

No, causality cannot be violated in special relativity. While the perception of time and space may differ between observers in different frames of reference, the principle of causality still holds true. This is because causality is based on the order of cause and effect, rather than the perception of time and space.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in causality and special relativity?

In special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which causality can be propagated. This means that no information or effect can travel faster than the speed of light. The constancy of the speed of light is a fundamental principle in special relativity and is necessary for maintaining the principle of causality.

5. Are there any real-world applications of causality and special relativity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of causality and special relativity. One example is in GPS navigation systems, which use special relativity to account for the time dilation effects of satellites in orbit. Another example is in particle accelerators, where the principles of special relativity are used to explain the behavior and interactions of particles at high speeds.