Help with trajectory(Finding initial velocity)

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a diver jumping off a diving board and calculating their initial velocity and angle. The problem has stumped both the person asking for help and their friend. The person asking for help is looking for assistance in finding the solution and suggests two possible approaches - deducing both components of the velocity or calculating the magnitude and direction separately. The person helping suggests the latter approach and explains that the initial velocity can be calculated from energetic consideration rather than the equations of motion. They also remind the person asking for help to split the motion into its components and write down the expression for the velocity. They end by saying that the solution is simpler than it seems and hope they were clear in their explanation.
DeltaZX
I'm trying to help a friend with a physics problem. I've been helping her figure a few out(I always make sure she solves them and understands how she did) but we've hit one that's gotten us both stumped, so I'd appreciate a bit of assistance.

The problem is basically, a Diver dives off a diving board so many meters above the water and hits the water at a certain angle and velocity, using this information we're supposed to figure out the initial velocity and angle. I didn't include the actual numbers because: 1- I don't recall them off the top of my head, and 2- I just want some help getting going in the right direction with this.

Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can either help you find the solution or write down it.
Now I'll try doing the former but if you want I can tell you the solution.

You can try either to deduce both the components of the velocity, or to calculate separately its magnitude and its direction. I'll do the latter since it is simpler.

1) You can calculate the magnitude of the initial velocity from energetic consideration.

To get the direction:
2) What kind of motion is it? Did you split it into its components?
3) Write down the expression of the velocity (its components, actually) vx=f(t), vy=g(t).
If you did it right (and if I explained you clearly :D) you should see the final steps.

Actually, it's simpler that it seems. The thing is, calculate |v| from energetic consideration rather than from the equations of motion.

I hope I was clear :D

What is trajectory?

Trajectory refers to the path that an object follows through space or air.

How is initial velocity related to trajectory?

Initial velocity is the starting velocity of an object, which affects its trajectory. The direction and magnitude of the initial velocity determine the shape and length of the object's trajectory.

How can I calculate initial velocity for a given trajectory?

To calculate the initial velocity for a given trajectory, you need to know the distance, angle, and time of flight of the object. You can use the formula: initial velocity = distance / (time of flight * cos(angle)).

What are some factors that can affect trajectory?

The factors that can affect trajectory include air resistance, gravity, initial velocity, and the angle at which the object is projected. Other factors such as wind, temperature, and surface conditions may also have an impact on the trajectory of an object.

How can I adjust the initial velocity to change the trajectory of an object?

To change the trajectory of an object, you can adjust the initial velocity by changing its magnitude or direction. Increasing the initial velocity will result in a longer and flatter trajectory, while decreasing it will result in a shorter and steeper trajectory. Changing the direction of the initial velocity will change the direction of the object's trajectory.