How to Convert Units for Finding the Mass of a Star?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving unit conversion and finding the mass of a star using the formula M=(4pie^2 d^3 a^3)/Gp^2. The person is struggling with converting arcseconds to degrees and radians, but eventually figures it out and gets a satisfactory answer. They also mention using the formula to find the center of mass and mention that their numbers are slightly different from what is listed on Wikipedia.
leonne

Homework Statement

Need help with some unit conversion. The problem asks to find mass of a star.
p=1.58e9 seconds a=7.61" d=8.15e18 cm +-.001

Homework Equations

M=(4pie^2 d^3 a^3)/Gp^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with " arcsecond i think it is. The mass should be 5.967e33 grams about. I tried converting it into degrees but get a huge number.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey i know used the degree and got total mass as 3541 solar mass and only should be 3 solar mass, so something must be wrong idk wht
thxs anyways

I can't help you because I have no idea where you are getting your equation.
Did you determine the equation yourself or was it a given

period of what
angle of what
distance from what to what

thats the formula to find center of mass for a star distance is between the two star period is how long it takes for a rotation

nvm i think i got it, i think i convert it into radians

whats the angle

well when i used 3.689e-5 rad for the semi-major axes (a) that gave me a much better answer still have the masses off by as little but my numbers are little different from what wiki has so should be all good. thxs

What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity expressed in one unit of measurement to an equivalent quantity expressed in another unit of measurement.

Why is unit conversion important?

Unit conversion is important because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements. It also allows for easy comparison and communication between scientists who may use different units of measurement.

What are the common units of measurement used in unit conversion?

The most common units of measurement used in unit conversion are the International System of Units (SI), which includes units such as meters, kilograms, and seconds.

How do you perform unit conversion?

To perform unit conversion, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. You then multiply the quantity you want to convert by the conversion factor to get the equivalent quantity in the desired unit.

What are some tips for unit conversion?

Some tips for unit conversion include using conversion tables or calculators, being aware of significant figures and rounding rules, and double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.