Help with Wave Speed Homework: Calculate Travel Time of Wave

In summary, the problem involves a block on an inclined plane, held in place by a string and the goal is to find the time for a wave to travel through the string. The solution involves finding the tension in the string using the force of gravity in the x-direction and then using this to calculate the velocity of the wave. After some incorrect attempts, the correct method is to find the x-component of the force of gravity, which is then used to calculate the tension and velocity.
jwbehm

Homework Statement

A block of mass 3.1 kg rests on a frictionless inclined plane, held in place by a string of mass 0.023 kg. The angle of the plane from the horizontal is 32°, and the string length is 1.5 m. How long does it take a wave to travel from one end of the string to the other? Note: Since the string is so much less massive than the block, the mass of the string can be neglected when calculating its tension.

Homework Equations

v= square root of F/linear density
v= Distance/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked this several times and I keep coming up with .025. I got force of gravity in the x direction and came up with 55.1N. I then divided that by the linear density (.023/1.5m.) After taking the square root of that, my V was 59.9 M/s. I then put that in the V= D/T and got .025. Please tell me where I'm going wrong here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jwbehm said:
I got force of gravity in the x direction and came up with 55.1N.
Show how you got that.

30.38/sin32

jwbehm said:
30.38/sin32
That's incorrect. You need to review how to find the component of weight parallel to the incline.

ahhh i knew it would be something stupid like that! Ill look into it and get back on here. Thanks

Hmm still confused. I think I am getting the angles in the wrong places. Is it Fgx= 30.38/cos32?

Edit

I don't think that's right. . . i don't know where I'm going wrong

scan0002.jpg

Figured it out. Thanks for the help

jwbehm said:
Figured it out. Thanks for the help
I'm glad you figured it out. In your diagram, you have the x-component as the hypotenuse of your right triangle. That's incorrect. The hypotenuse is always the full vector, which in this case is Fg; the components are the smaller sides.

Related to Help with Wave Speed Homework: Calculate Travel Time of Wave

1. How do I calculate the travel time of a wave?

To calculate the travel time of a wave, you will need to know the wavelength and the wave speed. The formula for calculating travel time is: Travel Time = Wavelength / Wave Speed.

2. What units should I use for the wavelength and wave speed?

The units for wavelength and wave speed should be consistent. For example, if the wavelength is measured in meters, then the wave speed should also be measured in meters per second.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of wave?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves and mechanical waves such as sound waves.

4. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the formula and making sure it matches the given wavelength and wave speed. You can also use a calculator to double-check your calculations.

5. What other factors may affect the travel time of a wave?

In addition to wavelength and wave speed, factors such as the medium through which the wave is traveling, temperature, and pressure can also affect the travel time of a wave.