Here Comes Irene: Flood Prep & Rain Expectations

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, a hurricane is expected to pass through the area, causing three days of heavy rain and potential flooding. The individual in the conversation has prepared with supplies such as water, gas, batteries, and candles, but may be forgetting other important items such as a generator, car adaptors, and a chainsaw. They also discuss cooking without electricity and alternative ways to heat and light their home during a power outage.
Chi Meson said:
4am and the power just went out. Am txtng from phone. Must remember to use vowels. (wow the phone puts them in for me)

Trees r doing the Crazy.

lol@chi

Physics news on Phys.org
S&P has downgraded Irene to AA+.

FlexGunship said:
EDIT: I'm actually considering going out for a drive. Only because I want to experience more of this. I know it's stupid, but I feel a little ripped off. They say the safest place to be during a hurricane is your car, right?
Uh, no they don't! Maybe if you absolutely have to be outside, but you're still better off inside a building.

Jimmy Snyder said:
S&P has downgraded Irene to AA+.
:rofl:

FlexGunship said:
They say the safest place to be during a hurricane is your car, right?
No responsible person would say that. The safest place is in a strong building. Houses would be better than cars, but high winds can damage houses, or send trees into them. Cars can be easily crushed by trees or branches as some have found out already. Cars can be flooded or tossed around in high enough winds.

If too many people go out, it makes it more difficult for emergency vehicles to respond.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml

Apparently there is significant flooding in Philadelphia and NY City.

Hope you're doing OK, Russ!

Last edited:
don't worry, the govt will help us all. I hope everyone is safe

Torrential rains here, but no heavy wind yet. In the worst-case, after the rains saturate the soil, gust winds can topple trees, crushing cars and houses and taking out the power.

From the radar, it looks like the west side of what would have been the eyewall is going over the top of us. The rain has gotten heavier, but it's not the worst we've ever experienced. Last year, we had a very heavy downpour of between 2 to 3 inches per hr from a cell the developed on top of us. The rain was so heavy that we could not see most of the backyard from the window. We lost part of the maple tree as a result.

Surprisingly the wind has been relatively mild.

FlexGunship said:
I feel a little ripped off.

Me too. If I have to watch this much news coverage of an event, you guys could at least provide a few decent disaster scenes.

I just checked the basement sump, and it's taking two streams of water, each about a gal/min. That then is pumped out to the right of way along the street, which is now a pond. Better to have a pond in the front yard than in the basement.

Ivan Seeking said:
Me too. If I have to watch this much news coverage of an event, you guys could at least provide a few decent disaster scenes.

http://www.fema.gov/news/disaster_totals_annual.fema

Pick your year, pick your state, pick your disaster, go to pictures and look to your hearts content.
While every disaster is different, they all look much the same.

Much wisdom by most and a storm that fell apart (thank goodness) premature, the major damage will be flooding inland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that storm is well over land, it is speeding up, so hopefully it will move along and not park over us and keep dumping rain.

Astronuc said:
FlexGunship said:
They say the safest place to be during a hurricane is your car, right?
No responsible person would say that.

More deaths!
Officials say that at least two people have been found dead in New Jersey in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. ...
“She left her house, went in her car and was swept away"

The Salem County woman had called 911 after her car had been washed away by a flash flood. The woman, who has not been publicly identified yet, was found dead in her car around 9:30 a.m.
Car = Dead.
Stay home!
According to Jack Burns, director of Hudson County's Office of Emergency Management, a man was found dead shortly after 10 p.m. in Kearny, but no other details have been released about that yet.

Maybe it's that guy who jumped off the bridge in North Carolina.

Astronuc said:
I just checked the basement sump, and it's taking two streams of water, each about a gal/min. That then is pumped out to the right of way along the street, which is now a pond. Better to have a pond in the front yard than in the basement.

You might consider, if the basement walls are main support for the house and water inside is kept low, the water pressure pushing in on the walls from outside (depending on height) will have a tendency to push the walls inward. If the walls are compromised the foundation strength might be at risk.
Letting water build up inside might be a wise choice ? A flood policy would cover utilities in a basement, but not much else.
If you have a flood policy, you might have some potential coverage for a damaged foundation.

Just something to consider.

Ron

The worst is already passed by. There wAs very little rain while the wind was windiest. We got to watch our neighbors tree snap in half. I immediately thought "fuel!"
(Turbo understands)

Yep! There is usually a lot of fuel to be had after storms like this. Some people will pay you to come take it away!

FlexGunship said:
lol@chi

Lol@yrslf. Safest place is under large tree!

RonL said:
http://www.fema.gov/news/disaster_totals_annual.fema

Pick your year, pick your state, pick your disaster, go to pictures and look to your hearts content.
While every disaster is different, they all look much the same.

Much wisdom by most and a storm that fell apart (thank goodness) premature, the major damage will be flooding inland.

I was just joking, or course. :biggrin: Yes, I'm glad this wasn't as bad as it might have been. I was particularly concerned about the potential of flooding in New York City. With all of the homeless and whatnot, that might have gotten really ugly. And in money terms, even Wall Street was in jeopardy! Not good.

Truthfully, however, I have been annoyed that since this started, we haven't seen anything about Libya, or anything else for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's this about duct taping windows criss-crossed? All you see in Facebook and Twitter are of people duct taping their windows in X's against the supporting frames. When asked, they say that duct taping it will prevent the windows from resonating to the natural frequency of the winds outside.

Supposedly the tape helps contain the glass fragments when the window breaks.

What a weak storm. Iexpected a little more I guess. I am kind of disappointed that it was expected to be a cat 2 or 3 by the time it was by DC, but it was barely a cat 1.

People are stupid. There have been numberous deaths of people being hit by falling trees while they were driving. a) what is so important that you have to drive, even if it is just a cat 1, b) people don't realize that rain doesn't kill, trees do.

Some people were even seen jogging with their dogs in the middle of it like its a pleasant spring shower. What are people thinking?!? I don't get it.. They deserved to die

Redbelly98 said:

I don't think it would. But, what about this: The windows of one's house could resonate to the natural frequencies of the winds outside, causing it to break. Does that sound like a dubious claim at all?

Encarta said:
I don't think it would.

Why?

Encarta said:
I don't think it would. But, what about this: The windows of one's house could resonate to the natural frequencies of the winds outside, causing it to break. Does that sound like a dubious claim at all?
The tape would change the natural frequency of the glass. But what if it changed it to match the wind?

Ivan Seeking said:
Why?

Criss-crossing duct tape on windows, I fail to see how it could prevent debris or even strong winds directly blowing against the window pane from breaking it into a thousand different pieces.

Maybe if you applied the tape to the entire window, leaving no part exposed, you would maybe have a better chance at reducing the work required to clean up the window.

Redbelly98 said:

Encarta said:
I don't think it would.

I'm not claiming it works, but this is what I heard on the radio (WNYC, an NPR affiliate) Friday. The person making the claim was George Contreras, professor of emergency and disaster management at Metropolitan College, on The Brian Lehrer Show. I'm inclined to believe someone like that before I believe some people posting in Facebook.

Encarta said:
Criss-crossing duct tape on windows, I fail to see how it could prevent debris or even strong winds directly blowing against the window pane from breaking it into a thousand different pieces.
It's not to prevent breakage, it's to better contain the breakage (according to the above source).

Making a cross of heavy tape on a window may help restrain the glass so that it will break into larger pieces instead of shattering. I'm not about to try it out.

Taping windows also gives some protection against bomb blasts.The method has been used for many years for example during the blitz of world war two.

Dadface said:
Taping windows also gives some protection against bomb blasts.The method has been used for many years for example during the blitz of world war two.

Be that as it may (although it still sounds far-fetched), I don't think that's just by criss-crossing windows.

Encarta said:
Be that as it may (although it still sounds far-fetched), I don't think that's just by criss-crossing windows.
You do a fair amount of criscrossing, you don't just make an X and you should use masking tape, I pity the people that put duct tape on their windows. It's only for helping with pickup of broken glass, and it does prevent the glass from flying. When did the myths about it strengthening windows or this frequency BS start? Oh yeah, the internet... :uhh:

Last edited:
Well that's it then. All over but for the cleanup. I eyeballed a good cord n a half of nice wood for the next winter. Trouble is my only working chainsaw is electric

And I don't think we'll get any of that for a few days yet.

I'd loan you mine Chi but you live a long 'way away, and I might need it before this is all over.

Patches of blue have appeared. Now the sun is shining.

A black walnut tree broke in half last month in a thunderstorm. One place got wind gusts over 100mph. But we're in Kansas, so no one cares.

Evo said:
A black walnut tree broke in half last month in a thunderstorm. One place got wind gusts over 100mph. But we're in Kansas, so no one cares.
I care. No way do I want that stuff in South Jersey.

Just went to Walmart. They are completely cleaned out on flashlights and D cells. I actually found a pack of D cells in the middle of a C cell bin, so I lucked out. But I've never seen a Walmart so empty on camping/emergency supplies.