Solving Hermitian Conjugate Homework

So, the adjoint of a sum of two operators is the sum of the adjoint of each operator. For part (b), you can use the same logic and equations as in part (a). Just remember that the adjoint of a product is not the product of the adjoints, but the product of the adjoints in reverse order. So for example, (\hat A \hat B)^{\dagger} = \hat B^{\dagger} \hat A^{\dagger} .
v_pino

Homework Statement

a.) Show [itex] \hat {(Q^\dagger)}^\dagger=\hat Q [/itex], where [itex] \hat {Q^\dagger} [/itex] is defined by [itex] <\alpha| \hat Q \beta>= <\hat Q^ \dagger \alpha|\beta> [/itex].

b.) For [itex] \hat Q =c_1 \hat A + c_2 \hat B [/itex], show its Hermitian conjugate is [itex] \hat Q^\dagger =c_1^* \hat A^\dagger + c_2^* \hat B^\dagger [/itex].

Homework Equations

a.) I found an example that might be related to this problem. It says that [itex] |T^\dagger \alpha> = T^\dagger |\alpha> [/itex] and [itex] <T|=(|T>)^\dagger [/itex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I'm thinking that I might be rewrite the right hand side of the second equation. From the relevant equations I gave, do you think [itex] <\hat Q^\dagger \alpha| \beta> = \hat Q^\dagger <\alpha| \beta> [/itex] is permitted? And if so, how do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
For both a) and b) assume the operators are bounded, hence domains issues do not appear. So for point a) both the adjoint and the adjoint of the adjoint exist and share the same domain,

[tex] \langle \psi, Q\phi\rangle = \langle Q^{\dagger}\psi,\phi\rangle = ... [/tex]

For point b), use the definition of adjoint used at a).

Here is my attempt after your advice:

(a) [itex] <\alpha|\hat Q \beta>=<\alpha| \hat Q^{\dagger \dagger} \beta> [/itex]

(b) [itex] <\hat Q^* \alpha| \beta>=<\hat Q^{\dagger} \alpha|\beta> [/itex]

I'm not exactly sure about the intermediate steps i.e. from 'first principle' to derive these equations.

Ok, in my writing above instead of ... there's what you've written (with other vectors, and with LaTex write \langle and \rangle to get nicely looking eqns)

So

[tex] \langle \psi,Q\phi\rangle = \langle \psi,Q^{\dagger\dagger}\phi\rangle [/tex] from where you have that both the range and the domain of Q and Q double dagger are equal, hence the 2 operators are equal. q.e.d.

For point b) pay more attention with your writings and redo your calculations.

Is this correct?

[itex] \langle\alpha|\hat Q \beta \rangle=\hat Q \langle \alpha| \beta \rangle
= \langle\hat Q^* \alpha| \beta \rangle [/itex]

Therefore,

[itex] \langle\hat Q^* \alpha| \beta \rangle = \langle \hat Q^\dagger \alpha |\beta \rangle [/itex]

If the above is correct, I get:

[itex] \hat Q^\dagger = \hat Q^* = c_1^* \hat A + c_2^* \hat B [/itex]

But I don't get the [itex] \dagger [/itex] above the A and the B.

Not really.

[tex] \langle \psi,(c_1 A + c_2 B)\phi\rangle = \langle (c_1 A + c_2 B)^{\dagger}\psi, \phi\rangle = \langle \psi,c_1 A \phi\rangle + \langle \psi,c_2 B \phi\rangle [/tex].

Can you go further with the sequence of equalities ?

Now it finally looks OK.

1. What is the purpose of solving Hermitian conjugate homework?

The purpose of solving Hermitian conjugate homework is to practice and demonstrate understanding of complex numbers and their properties, particularly the Hermitian conjugate operation.

2. What is the definition of a Hermitian conjugate?

A Hermitian conjugate, also known as the adjoint or conjugate transpose, is the complex conjugate of a matrix or vector, with its rows and columns reversed.

3. How do you find the Hermitian conjugate of a complex number?

To find the Hermitian conjugate of a complex number, you simply change the sign of the imaginary component. For example, the Hermitian conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

4. What are the properties of the Hermitian conjugate operation?

The Hermitian conjugate operation has several properties, including: (1) (AB)^† = B^†A^†, (2) (A+B)^† = A^† + B^†, (3) (cA)^† = c^*A^†, where A and B are matrices, c is a scalar, and ^† denotes the Hermitian conjugate operation.

5. How is the Hermitian conjugate related to the concept of a complex conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate is a generalization of the complex conjugate operation for matrices and vectors. The complex conjugate of a single number is equivalent to the Hermitian conjugate of a 1x1 matrix.