Proof of Hermitian Operator: f,g,h Functions of x

In summary, the problem is mathematically ill-posed and a correct formulation would be "Let A be a densly defined linear operator acting on a complex separable Hilbert space. Show that if \langle h,Ah\rangle = \langle Ah,h\rangle, ~ ~\forall h\in D(A) then A is symmetric."
KeyToMyFire

Homework Statement

If <h|Qh> = <Qh|h> for all functions h, show that <f|Qg> = <Qf|g> for all f and g.

f,g, and h are functions of x
Q is a hermitian operator

Hints: First let h=f+g, then let h=f+ig

Homework Equations

<Q>=<Q>*

Q(f+g)= Qf+Qg

The Attempt at a Solution

(All integral are with respect to x, and go from -∞ to +∞)

<(f+g)|Q(f+g)> = <Q(f+g)|(f+g)>

∫(f*+g*)(Qf+Qg) = ∫(Qf*+Qg*)(f+g)

∫f*Qf + ∫g*Qg + ∫f*Qg + ∫g*Qf = ∫(Qf*)f + ∫(Qg*)g + ∫(Qf*)g + ∫(Qg*)f

<f|Qf> + <g|Qg> + <f|Qg> + <g|Qf> = <Qf|f> + <Qg|g> + <Qf|g> + <Qg|f>

<f|Qg> + <g|Qf> = <Qf|g> + <Qg|f>

And then I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Again I don't see the relevance of this problem with <Advanced Physics>.
The problem is mathematically ill-posed. A correct formulation would be

"Let A be a densly defined linear operator acting on a complex separable Hilbert space. Show that if

[tex] \langle h,Ah\rangle = \langle Ah,h\rangle, ~ ~\forall h\in D(A) [/tex]

then A is symmetric. "

The solution to the correctly formulated problem is trivial, once you use the definition of a symmetric operator.

dextercioby said:
Again I don't see the relevance of this problem with <Advanced Physics>.
The problem is mathematically ill-posed. A correct formulation would be

"Let A be a densly defined linear operator acting on a complex separable Hilbert space. Show that if

[tex] \langle h,Ah\rangle = \langle Ah,h\rangle, ~ ~\forall h\in D(A) [/tex]

then A is symmetric. "

The solution to the correctly formulated problem is trivial, once you use the definition of a symmetric operator.

____"Again"? I've never posted a question on this site before, let alone an irrelevant one. If other people do so I don't see why that's held against me. I felt this problem was relevant to <Advanced Physics> because it comes straight from quantum mechanics homework.
____As to the mathematics being "ill posed" or "incorrectly formulated", it was copied directly from the textbook. With the admitted exclusion that "h is in hilbert space", though seeing as it was in parathesis I felt it was implied.
____And I'm glad you find the solution trivial, but seeing as it is the question I asked, I clearly do not. So thank you failing to address my question, other than to critisize that way it was asked, and being entirely helpful.

Letting aside the mathematical rigor, "If <h|Qh> = <Qh|h> for all functions h, show that <f|Qg> = <Qf|g> for all f and g", is this the whole text of your problem ? Are there any other assumptions to be made ?

Word for word (with "hats" on the Q's)

"Problem 3.3 Show that if <h|Qh> = <Qh|h> for all functions h (in Hilber space), then <f|Qg> = <Qf|g> for all f and g (i.e., the two definitions of "hermitian" -- Equations 3.16 and 3.17 -- are equivalent). Hint: First let h=f+g, and then let h=f+ig."

Then on the previous page:

"Thus operators representing observables have the very special property that:

<f|Qf>= <Qf|f> for all f(x) [3.16]

We call such operators hermitian.

Actually most books require an ostenibly stronger condition:

<f|Qg> = <Qf|g> for and f(x) and all g(x) [3.17]

But as it turns out, in spite of appearances, that this is perfectly equivalent to my definition (Equation 3.16), as you will prove in Problem 3.3. So use which ever you like. The essential point is that the hermitian can be applied to the first member of an inner product or to the second . . . "

You're halfway there - you've done the h=f+g part. Now you just have to do the h=f+ig part and subtract the two answers :smile:

Note that it was never necessary to write out the integrals because you were always going to come back to the abstract notation anyway.

dextercioby said:
I don't see the relevance of this problem with <Advanced Physics>

I think it's appropriate here because the mathematics in question is traditionally taught in introductory quantum mechanics courses, albeit without the rigor you seem to enjoy :yuck:

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical concept in linear algebra and quantum mechanics that represents a physical observable, such as energy or momentum. It is defined as an operator that is equal to its own adjoint, or conjugate transpose.

2. What is the proof of a Hermitian operator?

The proof of a Hermitian operator involves showing that the operator is equal to its own adjoint. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts and the properties of complex conjugation.

3. Why is a Hermitian operator important?

A Hermitian operator is important because it represents physical observables in quantum mechanics, which is a fundamental theory in modern physics. It also has many useful properties, such as having real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.

4. How do f, g, and h functions relate to a Hermitian operator?

In the context of Hermitian operators, f, g, and h are typically used to represent functions of the variable x. These functions are used in the proof of a Hermitian operator to show that it is equal to its own adjoint.

5. What are some examples of Hermitian operators?

Some examples of Hermitian operators include the position operator, momentum operator, and energy operator in quantum mechanics. In linear algebra, Hermitian matrices are also examples of Hermitian operators.