How Do You Calculate Hexagonal Miller Indices Correctly?

• Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, when finding the intercepts and reciprocals for the given axis, it is important to consider the direction of the axis. These values can then be reduced to their lowest terms and used to find the (hkl) Miller indices. Finally, the value of i can be found using the formula i = -(h + k), with consideration for the direction of the axis.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-20_11-27-40.png

Homework Equations

find intercept ==> reciprocal ==> reduction ==> (hkl) miller indices ==> i ==> (hkil) miller indices

The Attempt at a Solution

by using axis a1 a2 z,
intercept: a = 0, b = inf, c=inf
reciprocal: a= inf,b=0,c=0
(hkl)=(inf 0 0)
i=-(h+k) = no conclusion

I believe my approach is wrong... can anyone point out please? thanks

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_11-27-40.png
    upload_2018-2-20_11-27-40.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 743
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, when finding the intercepts, you should also consider the direction of the axis. For example, if the a1 axis is pointing in the positive direction, then the intercept for that axis would be positive. Similarly, if the a2 axis is pointing in the negative direction, then the intercept for that axis would be negative.

Additionally, when finding the reciprocal, you should also consider the direction of the axis. In this case, if the a1 axis is pointing in the positive direction, then the reciprocal for that axis would be positive. If the a2 axis is pointing in the negative direction, then the reciprocal for that axis would be negative.

Once you have found the intercepts and reciprocals, you can then reduce them to their lowest terms and use them to find the (hkl) Miller indices. From there, you can use the formula i = -(h + k) to find the value of i. Remember to consider the direction of the axis when finding the Miller indices as well.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What are Hexagonal Miller Indices?

Hexagonal Miller Indices are a notation system used in crystallography to describe the orientation and symmetry of crystal lattice planes. They consist of three numbers (h, k, l) that represent the intersections of the plane with the three axes of a hexagonal crystal.

2. How are Hexagonal Miller Indices calculated?

Hexagonal Miller Indices are calculated by taking the reciprocal of the fractional intercepts of the plane on the axes. The intercepts are then multiplied by a common factor to make the numbers as small as possible. The resulting numbers, without any fractions, make up the indices (h, k, l).

3. What is the significance of Hexagonal Miller Indices?

Hexagonal Miller Indices are used to describe the orientation of crystal planes within a hexagonal crystal. This is important because it allows scientists to understand the structure and properties of a crystal, which can be helpful in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and geology.

4. How do Hexagonal Miller Indices relate to other crystal systems?

Hexagonal Miller Indices are unique to hexagonal crystals and differ from the indices used in other crystal systems such as cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic, and triclinic. However, there are some similarities, such as the use of three numbers to describe the orientation of crystal planes.

5. What is the importance of understanding Hexagonal Miller Indices in research?

Understanding Hexagonal Miller Indices is crucial in research as it allows scientists to accurately describe the orientation and symmetry of crystal planes within a hexagonal crystal. This information is essential in determining the properties and behavior of the crystal, which can lead to advancements in various fields of science and technology.