1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey physics instant velocity ques

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    If an arrow is shot upward on the moon with a velocity of 58m/s, its height in meters after t seconds is given by h=58t-0.83t^2

find the instantaneous velocity after one second....can u post ur work?? and explain this to me......thx in advance...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Instant Velocity is

[tex] \vec{V} = \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

If you have this formula, then the first derivative is speed. For velocity, remember to put the j, because it's 1D motion in the y-axis.

[tex] h=58t-0.83t^2 [/tex]
  4. Sep 30, 2004 #3
    its for a calculus class and we arent allowed to use derivtives yet.......so for that forula u gave me what number would i plug in???? im kinda confused....i did a table of values with time intervals to average velocity but the whole one second i dont understand.....can u show me like an answer......im sorry ur rules are u not doing my hmk...i seriously have tried i just dont understand...
  5. Sep 30, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

You could graph that function, and pick really close values for time and h, to calculate the slope.

The First derivative is the slope.

Slope formula
    [tex] m = \frac{\Delta h}{\Delta t} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?