Hey physics instant velocity ques

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of instantaneous velocity after one second, using the formula h=58t-0.83t^2. The formula for velocity is given as \vec{V} = \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} and the slope formula is also mentioned. The speaker suggests graphing the function and calculating the slope to find the instantaneous velocity.
lilman7769
If an arrow is shot upward on the moon with a velocity of 58m/s, its height in meters after t seconds is given by h=58t-0.83t^2

find the instantaneous velocity after one second...can u post ur work?? and explain this to me...thx in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Instant Velocity is

[tex] \vec{V} = \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

If you have this formula, then the first derivative is speed. For velocity, remember to put the j, because it's 1D motion in the y-axis.

[tex] h=58t-0.83t^2 [/tex]

its for a calculus class and we arent allowed to use derivtives yet...so for that forula u gave me what number would i plug in? I am kinda confused...i did a table of values with time intervals to average velocity but the whole one second i don't understand...can u show me like an answer...im sorry ur rules are u not doing my hmk...i seriously have tried i just don't understand...

You could graph that function, and pick really close values for time and h, to calculate the slope.

The First derivative is the slope.

Slope formula
[tex] m = \frac{\Delta h}{\Delta t} [/tex]

What is instant velocity?

Instant velocity, also known as instantaneous velocity, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction at a particular instant.

How is instant velocity different from average velocity?

Instant velocity is the velocity at a single moment in time, while average velocity is the average of all velocities over a given time period. Instant velocity can change frequently, while average velocity remains constant if the object is moving at a constant speed.

How is instant velocity calculated?

Instant velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: v = (xf - xi)/(tf - ti), where v is instant velocity, xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.

What factors can affect instant velocity?

The main factors that can affect instant velocity are acceleration and direction. If an object is accelerating, its instant velocity will change over time. Additionally, the direction of an object's motion can also affect its instant velocity, as it can either add or subtract from the overall velocity.

Why is instant velocity important in physics?

Instant velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects. By calculating instant velocity, we can determine the speed and direction of an object at any given moment, which is crucial in studying and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.