1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi 2 Every1! Can Some1 Plz Plaz Help Me?

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    HI TO ALL, THIS IS SAIRA, I AM NEW HERE.
    I AM REALLY WORRIED AS I HAVE A PHYSICS ASSIGNMENT AND I AM REALLY STRUGGLING BECAUSE I MISSED ALOT OF LESSONS BECAUSE I WAS ILL.
    COULD SOME1 PLZ HELP ME WITH THESE PROBLEMS, I WILL BE EVER SO GRATEFUL!!!!!

1. A boy throws a stone from the edge of a cliff with an initial speed V o at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. When it hits the surface of a lake 22m below the top of the cliff, the stone is moving with a speed of 25 meter per second. What was its initial velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    Don't worry, it's actually very simple. Remember that horizontal and vertical motion are independant of each other (i.e. the vertical motion is affected by gravity, whereas horizontal motion is constant- that is, if there is no friction).
    Split the initial and final speeds into their horizontal and vertical components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?