Hi, i need to know if this DAC-op-amp calculation is ok

In summary, The conversation is discussing a diagram for a R2R ladder DAC and the discrepancies in the resistor values. The original poster is trying to fill in the values for the ladder circuit, but some values are not practical. The conversation also mentions the difference between a Binary Weighted network and a Ladder network.
NYAME EPHRAIM
ephraim summing amp.PNG

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• ephraim summing amp.PNG
    ephraim summing amp.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look right to me. You also can't get 10V out if the power supplies are +/-9V.

Are you trying to make an R2R ladder DAC?

berkeman said:
That doesn't look right to me. You also can't get 10V out if the power supplies are +/-9V.

Are you trying to make an R2R ladder DAC?
Hi, thanks for the reply, the diagraim was presented that way for me to do the calculations, i have also seen related diagraim online for DAC!
Yeah it,s ladder

Well, can you explain this first line from your diagram? It doesn't make sense past the 900mV number...

Vout = (9V x 470/4700) = 900mV = 800mV = 8V

And why are the resistor values in your table different from the schematic?

berkeman said:
Well, can you explain this first line from your diagram? It doesn't make sense past the 900mV number...

Vout = (9V x 470/4700) = 900mV = 800mV = 8V

And why are the resistor values in your table different from the schematic?

Hi thanks for the reply. my target is to fill that table, those value of resistor in that ladder circuit we don't have most of the values practically, that's why i had to reduce the 9 to 8.
please take a look at this diagram and cross check.
FINAL CHECK EPHRAIM.PNG

Attachments

• FINAL CHECK EPHRAIM.PNG
    FINAL CHECK EPHRAIM.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 355
That looks very close. The only problem I see is maybe the units definition for Vout in the last column heading of the table. It is hard to read the image, it shows 'x (something) 100mV'. What does it actually say?

What you have shown is a Binary Weighted network.

A Ladder network is shown below. (From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder)
336px-UnequalLadder.svg.png

To learn more, try a Google search for both terms.

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• 336px-UnequalLadder.svg.png
    336px-UnequalLadder.svg.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 323

1. What is a DAC-op-amp?

A DAC-op-amp, or digital-to-analog converter operational amplifier, is a device used to convert digital signals into analog signals.

2. How is a DAC-op-amp used in circuit design?

A DAC-op-amp is typically used in circuit design as a component for converting digital signals from a microcontroller or other digital device into analog signals for controlling analog devices, such as motors or sensors.

3. What factors need to be considered when calculating the DAC-op-amp circuit?

The most important factors to consider when calculating a DAC-op-amp circuit are the desired output voltage range, the input voltage range, the resolution of the digital signal, and the required accuracy and precision of the analog output.

4. How do I know if my DAC-op-amp calculation is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your DAC-op-amp calculation, it is important to double check your calculations and verify that all necessary components are included in the circuit. You can also use simulation software or test the circuit in a controlled environment to confirm the expected output.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with DAC-op-amps?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with DAC-op-amps include using incorrect input voltage ranges, not taking into account the power supply limitations, and not considering the effects of noise and interference on the circuit. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate op-amp for your specific application.