Hi, I'm new here.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I just turned 16, am in 10th grade, and am new here. Long story short, my father teaches AP Biology, AP Chemistry, Anatomy&Physiology, Astronomy, AP Biology, and AP Physics, and is middle school teacher. He's best known for his successful passing rate. Well, I took his class for AP Bio in 7th, and Astronomy and AP Chem and AP Physics in 8th, but that was the only exposer I've ever had to that world of Science. Since then, my memory of the material has gotten foggy a bit. Well, I'm here at this site, because I want the knowlidge that I used to have back. Is there anyone that maybe might be able to help me climb my way back up the basics, to the point to where my knowlidge is back off the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

What does it mean if a thread is moved? On the title, back in the list of threads in the general physics area, it says "moved"

Hepth
Gold Member
What does it mean if a thread is moved? On the title, back in the list of threads in the general physics area, it says "moved"
Welcome to PF!

It just means that the moderators felt that your post fit better in a different part of the Physics Forums. Usually introductory posts are made here, in General Discussion, while General Physics relates specifically to physics questions of a general nature.

Feel free to browse around! You can learn quite a bit just by watching the subforums of your choice. Questions get asked all day long that range from extremely simple to unanswerable, and while I would recommend you participate by asking your own (if you have some) you can learn a great deal just by watching others ask. Even looking through the homework help will refresh your memory of what you may have learned once. There are a lot of really good mods/advisers/homework helpers/etc on this board.

jtbell
Mentor
In case you haven't noticed, this thread is now in the General Discussion forum. Look up at the top of the page, at the "breadcrumb" trail that shows you your current location:

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion

Then go back to the forums home page, scroll down so you can see the link to General Discussion, and enter it directly. You'll find your thread there, with its normal appearance.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Welcome, Joshua!

A good place to start is to review Khan Academy videos. But simply watching passively isn't going to get you where you want to go - you have to put pencil to paper and work problems, too.

What is your favourite fish?

jtbell
Mentor
Usually introductory posts are made here, in General Discussion, while General Physics relates specifically to physics questions of a general nature.
And if you're looking for advice about what courses to take, college applications, etc., the place to go is Academic Guidance. I see you have some of that in your post, but the Mentor who moved the thread must have overlooked it after the "Hi, I'm new!" and general information which normally belongs here in GD.

I second the request for information about your favorite fish. :smile:

I don't have a favorite fish... Just wondering, why do you guys ask?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just pick a big one. I'm sure someone will explain.

I barely even have any range of knowledge of what different types of fish there are out there... Can someone please explain to me why you're asking?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I barely even have any range of knowledge of what different types of fish there are out there... Can someone please explain to me why you're asking?
It's just our "thing". It's weird, we know.

Salmon? Tuna? Megadolon?

Evo
Mentor
It's just our "thing". It's weird, we know.
Weird is what makes it special. :approve:

You guys are awesome, I've come to terms.

Evo
Mentor
You guys are awesome, I've come to terms.
So what's your fish?

Do you mean to eat, or a fish that just fascinates me?

Borek
Mentor
Fish. Just fish.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is. We don't like philosophy here.

just a heads up, no matter what fish you choose you are subject to a punishment, what kind will solely depend on the fish.

jtbell
Mentor
Fish. Just fish.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is. We don't like philosophy here.
To fish, or not to fish, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Flies and Fishhookes of outrageous Fortune, [...]

I dont have one. Please understand. Even if i wanted to pick a random one, I don't have a wide enough range of knowlidge of different fish out there to do so. Please tell me why. ;_;

Evo
Mentor
I dont have one. Please understand. Even if i wanted to pick a random one, I don't have a wide enough range of knowlidge of different fish out there to do so. Please tell me why. ;_;
Too bad, you cannot be initiated into PF now. You are the first person to ever fail initiation.

It's just a fun thing we do to officially welcome new members, no big deal that you chose not to participate. Don't worry about it.

Borek
Mentor
Don't worry about it.
Not that it will be ever forgotten.

Likes 1 person
Evo
Mentor
Not that it will be ever forgotten.
Nothing's ever forgotten. :devil:

You shall be put to the rack, burnt at the stake and beheaded.