Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi, I'm new here.

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    I just turned 16, am in 10th grade, and am new here. Long story short, my father teaches AP Biology, AP Chemistry, Anatomy&Physiology, Astronomy, AP Biology, and AP Physics, and is middle school teacher. He's best known for his successful passing rate. Well, I took his class for AP Bio in 7th, and Astronomy and AP Chem and AP Physics in 8th, but that was the only exposer I've ever had to that world of Science. Since then, my memory of the material has gotten foggy a bit. Well, I'm here at this site, because I want the knowlidge that I used to have back. Is there anyone that maybe might be able to help me climb my way back up the basics, to the point to where my knowlidge is back off the ground?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2014 #2
    What does it mean if a thread is moved? On the title, back in the list of threads in the general physics area, it says "moved"

4. Feb 6, 2014 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

It just means that the moderators felt that your post fit better in a different part of the Physics Forums. Usually introductory posts are made here, in General Discussion, while General Physics relates specifically to physics questions of a general nature.

Feel free to browse around! You can learn quite a bit just by watching the subforums of your choice. Questions get asked all day long that range from extremely simple to unanswerable, and while I would recommend you participate by asking your own (if you have some) you can learn a great deal just by watching others ask. Even looking through the homework help will refresh your memory of what you may have learned once. There are a lot of really good mods/advisers/homework helpers/etc on this board.

5. Feb 6, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is now in the General Discussion forum. Look up at the top of the page, at the "breadcrumb" trail that shows you your current location:

Physics Forums > PF Lounge > General Discussion

Then go back to the forums home page, scroll down so you can see the link to General Discussion, and enter it directly. You'll find your thread there, with its normal appearance.

6. Feb 6, 2014 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome, Joshua!

A good place to start is to review Khan Academy videos. But simply watching passively isn't going to get you where you want to go - you have to put pencil to paper and work problems, too.

7. Feb 6, 2014 #6
    What is your favourite fish?

8. Feb 6, 2014 #7

jtbell

And if you're looking for advice about what courses to take, college applications, etc., the place to go is Academic Guidance. I see you have some of that in your post, but the Mentor who moved the thread must have overlooked it after the "Hi, I'm new!" and general information which normally belongs here in GD.

I second the request for information about your favorite fish. :smile:

9. Feb 6, 2014 #8
    I don't have a favorite fish... Just wondering, why do you guys ask?

10. Feb 6, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just pick a big one. I'm sure someone will explain.

11. Feb 6, 2014 #10
    I barely even have any range of knowledge of what different types of fish there are out there... Can someone please explain to me why you're asking?

12. Feb 6, 2014 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just our "thing". It's weird, we know.

13. Feb 6, 2014 #12
    Salmon? Tuna? Megadolon?

14. Feb 6, 2014 #13

Evo

Weird is what makes it special. :approve:

15. Feb 6, 2014 #14
  16. Feb 7, 2014 #15
    You guys are awesome, I've come to terms.

17. Feb 7, 2014 #16

Evo

So what's your fish?

18. Feb 7, 2014 #17
    Do you mean to eat, or a fish that just fascinates me?

19. Feb 8, 2014 #18

Borek

Fish. Just fish.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is. We don't like philosophy here.

20. Feb 8, 2014 #19
    just a heads up, no matter what fish you choose you are subject to a punishment, what kind will solely depend on the fish.

21. Feb 8, 2014 #20

jtbell

To fish, or not to fish, that is the question—
    Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
    The Flies and Fishhookes of outrageous Fortune, [...]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook