How Do You Rearrange the Formula μ = Fx/uA to Solve for Velocity?

In summary, to solve the equation μ = Fx/uA for u (velocity), you can multiply both sides by u, then divide both sides by q, resulting in the formula u = Fx/Aq. It is important to be polite when requesting help and to follow the forum rules.
Eddie e30
Hi folks I am currently doing a question in fluid mechanics and i need some help rearranging formula to solve the equation... I have everyhting i just can't seem to figure how to make u( Velocity) the subject of the equation...

The equation is μ = Fx/uA

Thanks in advance
Eddie

Physics news on Phys.org
bump... Some help please!

From q=Fx/uA:

- Multiply both sides by u to get:
qu=Fx/A

- Then divide both sides by q to get:
u=Fx/Aq

Hope it helps. And it might be an idea to be polite mate, not every question can get answered with 30 mins!

Eddie e30 said:
bump... Some help please!

Bumping after just a few minutes is against the PF rules (see the Rules link at the top of the page). You must wait at least 24 hours before you use a single bump if the thread has no replies.

Hi Eddie,

I'm happy to help with your question in fluid mechanics. To rearrange the formula to solve for velocity (u), we can start by isolating the u on one side of the equation.

To do this, we can multiply both sides of the equation by uA, which will cancel out the uA on the right side. This leaves us with μuA = Fx.

Next, we can divide both sides by μA to get u = Fx/μA. This gives us the equation for velocity (u) in terms of the other variables in the equation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your fluid mechanics question! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which can be either liquids or gases, and how they interact with forces and their environment.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing aircrafts and automobiles, understanding weather patterns, and developing medical devices like ventilators and heart pumps.

3. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics include continuity, conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids move and behave in various situations.

4. How can fluid mechanics be used to solve engineering problems?

Fluid mechanics plays a crucial role in solving engineering problems by providing the necessary tools and equations to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different systems. This helps engineers design efficient and safe structures and devices.

5. What are some common challenges in studying fluid mechanics?

Some common challenges in studying fluid mechanics include accurately modeling complex fluid behavior, dealing with non-ideal conditions, and solving complex mathematical equations. It also requires a good understanding of physics, mathematics, and computer modeling.