Higgs boson's mechanism for giving mass?

1. What is the Higgs boson's mechanism for giving mass?

2. jcsd
  3. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,918
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. OK, so the Higgs boson interacts with particles to give them mass (as per the previous movie) but still, does anyone know the mechanism of interaction?

5. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,918
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. does anyone here know what the Higgs mechanism is?

7. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you read the wikipedia page? Since you replied a minute after it was posted, I gather that you did not. If you did, what is there on that page that you do not understand?

8. bapowell

bapowell 1,863
    Science Advisor

To clarify: it's the interaction with the Higgs field that gives gauge particles mass. The Higgs boson is the excitation of this field.

1 person likes this.
  9. quite a bit actually. The wiki post and my post were only a coincidence. The math of the wiki post notwithstanding, it is really that simple?

"Don't shoot, it's only me," Bob hope 1990.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. mfb

Staff: Mentor

"Simple"? It is simple if you make the model so simple that it is a very rough, and often misleading description of the actual physics.

11. is the Higgs field equivalent to space itself?

12. bapowell

bapowell 1,863
    Science Advisor

No. It's just like any other quantum field, except that there is a property of the Higgs field that is nonzero in space.

13. do the particles that are given mass by the Higgs field affect the Higgs field?

14. bapowell

bapowell 1,863
    Science Advisor

Yes. For example, the mass of the Higgs particle depends on all the particles to which the Higgs couples. More generally, any property of the Higgs that gets renormalized depends on all such particles.

1 person likes this.
  15. In general is the technique of renormalization required because of interactions?
    I know the question is vague. That's because there's a lot i don't know.

16. bapowell

bapowell 1,863
    Science Advisor

That's the energy of the Higgs vacuum; I'm referring to the vacuum expectation value of the field. The latter is definitively nonzero, the former is unknown. I have no idea Veltman thinks there needs to be an energy associated with the Higgs field that would cause the universe to collapse.

17. Can you explain the difference?

18. On slide 17 of http://www.nikhef.nl/pub/theory/academiclectures/Higgs.pdf Veltman explains how he reaches this conclusion.

19. That is correct.

20. bapowell

bapowell 1,863
    Science Advisor

See the figure in this post: http://dorigo.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/the-goldstone-theorem-for-real-dummies/. The values +/- [itex]\nu[/itex] are the vacuum expectation values of the field for the corresponding vacuum. The Higgs starts in the middle, at the local maximum (the false vacuum), and rolls down to one of the minima (true vacua). The energy of the true vacua, [itex]V(\pm \nu)[/itex], is the vacuum energy of the Higgs. So the vacuum expectation value of the field and the vacuum energy are different things. It is generally assumed that [itex]V(\nu)=0[/itex], but this is really just put in by hand. If [itex]V(\nu)<0[/itex], then the universe should collapse if the Higgs field is dominating the energy density of the universe (this might be what Veltmann is talking about). Otherwise, if [itex]V(\nu)>0[/itex], the universe should inflate once the Higgs field dominates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted
: higgs boson