Solving Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the invariant, averaged amplitude for the decay of Higgs to a fermion and an antifermion. The formula for the amplitude is shown, but the person is having trouble getting the correct result. They realize that they made a mistake with the kinematics and eventually figure out the correct solution.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have decay of Higgs to fermion and antifermion and I need to find out the invariant, averaged amplitude.

And I wrote down the Feynman diagram, and calculated everything and I came to this part:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{g_w^2}{4}\frac{m_f^2}{m_w^2}(4p_1\cdot p_2-4m_f^2)[/itex]

Now to calculate [itex]p_1\cdot p_2[/itex] I sit in Higgs rest frame, so that the impulses of the fermions are the same (magnitude), but have different sign: [itex]\vec{p}_1=-\vec{p}_2[/itex].

So what I need to end up with is:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{g_w^2}{4}\frac{m_f^2}{m_w^2}(2m_h^2-8m_f^2)[/itex]

But I just cannot get the right result!

[itex]p_1\cdot p_2=(E_1+E_2)^2-(\vec{p}_1+\vec{p}_2)^2=(E_1+E_2)^2[/itex]

If the magnitude of the impulses of the two fermions are the same, and if the masses are the same the energies should also be the same, right? That is, [itex]E_1=E_2=E[/itex], then the scalar product of two 4-vectors is:

[itex]p_1\cdot p_2=4E^2[/itex], where E is the energy of the fermion. Since the energy is conserved: [itex]E_H=E_1+E_2\Rightarrow E=\frac{E_H}{2}[/itex], but since the Higgs is at rest it's mass is equal to it's energy so [itex]E=\frac{m_H}{2}[/itex], but if I put that back into the scalar product I have:
[itex]p_1\cdot p_2=m_H[/itex], but that doesn't give me the right answer :\

Where is my mistake?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I solved it, I was messing up the kinematics. I feel like an idiot -.-"

1. What is the Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem?

The Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem refers to the challenge of accurately calculating the average amplitude for the decay of a Higgs boson into two other particles. This is important in understanding the properties of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles.

2. Why is solving this problem important?

Solving the Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem is crucial in accurately predicting the behavior of the Higgs boson and its role in fundamental particle interactions. It also helps in testing the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics and potential new theories.

3. What are the current approaches to solving this problem?

There are several approaches to solving the Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem, including using perturbation theory, Monte Carlo simulations, and effective field theory. These methods involve complex mathematical calculations and require advanced computational techniques.

4. What challenges are scientists facing in solving this problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem is the complexity of the calculations involved. This problem also requires a deep understanding of quantum field theory and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Additionally, experimental uncertainties and limitations in data analysis can also pose challenges.

5. How close are scientists to finding a solution to this problem?

Significant progress has been made in solving the Higgs Decay Invariant Averaged Amplitude Problem, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. The latest experimental data from the Large Hadron Collider at CERN has provided valuable insights, but further research and development are needed to fully understand and accurately predict the behavior of the Higgs boson.