1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs decay

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have decay of Higgs to fermion and antifermion and I need to find out the invariant, averaged amplitude.

And I wrote down the Feynman diagram, and calculated everything and I came to this part:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{g_w^2}{4}\frac{m_f^2}{m_w^2}(4p_1\cdot p_2-4m_f^2)[/itex]

Now to calculate [itex]p_1\cdot p_2[/itex] I sit in Higgs rest frame, so that the impulses of the fermions are the same (magnitude), but have different sign: [itex]\vec{p}_1=-\vec{p}_2[/itex].

So what I need to end up with is:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{g_w^2}{4}\frac{m_f^2}{m_w^2}(2m_h^2-8m_f^2)[/itex]

But I just cannot get the right result!

[itex]p_1\cdot p_2=(E_1+E_2)^2-(\vec{p}_1+\vec{p}_2)^2=(E_1+E_2)^2[/itex]

If the magnitude of the impulses of the two fermions are the same, and if the masses are the same the energies should also be the same, right? That is, [itex]E_1=E_2=E[/itex], then the scalar product of two 4-vectors is:

[itex]p_1\cdot p_2=4E^2[/itex], where E is the energy of the fermion. Since the energy is conserved: [itex]E_H=E_1+E_2\Rightarrow E=\frac{E_H}{2}[/itex], but since the Higgs is at rest it's mass is equal to it's energy so [itex]E=\frac{m_H}{2}[/itex], but if I put that back into the scalar product I have:
    [itex]p_1\cdot p_2=m_H[/itex], but that doesn't give me the right answer :\

Where is my mistake?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    Ok I think I solved it, I was messing up the kinematics. I feel like an idiot -.-"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook