Higgs Field and Inertia: Exploring the Relationship and Possible Explanations

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of explaining inertia through the Higgs field and the level of understanding of quantum field theory. It is concluded that there is no accurate description for this phenomenon and that even without the Higgs field, particles such as protons and neutrons would still have mass. The concept of "static" particles and temperature is also touched upon.
Pouya Pourkarim
Is there any way to approach to some kind of explanation for inertia,from higgs field?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much quantum field theory do you know?

mfb said:
How much quantum field theory do you know?

I don’t know I’ve just finished my B.Sc quantum physics

Then I fear there is no good description. There are various analogies around but I don't think any of them accurately describes what is going on.

Likes Pouya Pourkarim
mfb said:
Then I fear there is no good description. There are various analogies around but I don't think any of them accurately describes what is going on.

Thank you anyways

Even if there was no Higgs field, proton and neutron would still have mass.

mitchell porter said:
Even if there was no Higgs field, proton and neutron would still have mass.
Because of the constituent quarks’ confinement energy?

Can a static particle have mass in the Higgs scenario then?IH

Islam Hassan said:
Can a static particle have mass in the Higgs scenario then?
Sure (with the usual caveats for what "static" means). Electrons for example have mass.

Static to my mind would mean quasi-0 K temperature...it this the generally accepted meaning?

Individual particles do not have a temperature.

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that is thought to give particles their mass. It is believed to be a field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles as they move through it.

2. How does the Higgs field relate to inertia?

The Higgs field is thought to give particles their mass, which is a fundamental property of matter that determines how much resistance a particle will have to changes in its motion, also known as inertia. Therefore, the Higgs field is closely linked to the concept of inertia.

3. How was the existence of the Higgs field discovered?

The existence of the Higgs field was predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics, and was finally confirmed in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. The discovery was made through the detection of a particle known as the Higgs boson, which is a manifestation of the Higgs field.

4. Why is the Higgs field important?

The Higgs field is important because it helps to explain the origin of mass in the universe. Without the Higgs field, particles would not have mass and the universe as we know it would not exist. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of particles at the most fundamental level.

5. How does the Higgs field affect our daily lives?

The effects of the Higgs field are not directly noticeable in our daily lives, as it primarily affects subatomic particles. However, without the Higgs field, the universe would not have the structure and complexity that allows for the existence of atoms, molecules, and ultimately, life. Therefore, the Higgs field has a profound impact on the world around us.