Is the Higgs Field Potential Still Symmetric Post-Electroweak Symmetry Breaking?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Higgs Mechanism and Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking in relation to the potential of the Higgs Field. It is mentioned that after the gauge fixing, the resulting potential is no longer symmetric to rotations and the ground state is changed. The analogy of the Mexican Hat potential is used to explain the concept, with the addition of a fourth dimension. The conversation concludes with a question about the residual U(1) symmetry breaking.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Hi, a fast question... I was having somekind of a discussion, and I actually hit a dead end to the way I could explain my statement.
I believe that after the Higgs Mechanism and SSB, the resulting potential of the Higgs Field should no longer be symmetric to rotations : I am saying this because by the time we choose a vev for the Higgs Field (doing the gauge fixing), we are at one chosen point on the [itex](\phi_1,\phi_2)[/itex]-plane and there should be no longer any degenerate ground state [the massless GBs have been gauged out]. To me, this sounds like that the ground state of the mexican hat is slightly changed, deeper for the choice of our gauge. However, wouldn't that mean the breaking of the residual U(1)? Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
Hi, a fast question... I was having somekind of a discussion, and I actually hit a dead end to the way I could explain my statement.
I believe that after the Higgs Mechanism and SSB, the resulting potential of the Higgs Field should no longer be symmetric to rotations : I am saying this because by the time we choose a vev for the Higgs Field (doing the gauge fixing), we are at one chosen point on the [itex](\phi_1,\phi_2)[/itex]-plane

Here's how I understand it.

Unlike Mexican Hat used in visual analogy, it's not a plane - it has 4 dimensions, not 2. (Follows from Higgs field having four components.)

"4-dimensional Mexican Hat potential" has a minimum which is a 3-sphere (whereas 2-dimensional one has a minimum which is a circle). While Higgs field value in this minimum, it can move in three directions without having to climb a potential hill - those three directions correspond to three massless "higgses" which are "eaten" by W+- and Z. The fourth direction, "perpendicular" to 3-sphere, is the direction which requires climbing a hill. That's the component which we observe as massive Higgs boson.

1. What is the Higgs Field potential shape?

The Higgs Field potential shape is a theoretical concept in particle physics that describes the shape of the Higgs Field, which is a quantum field that is thought to give particles their mass. It is represented by a potential energy curve, where the lowest point on the curve is the most stable state of the Higgs Field.

2. How is the Higgs Field potential shape related to the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a particle that is associated with the Higgs Field. Its existence was predicted by the Higgs Field potential shape, and the discovery of the Higgs Boson in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider confirmed the validity of the Higgs Field potential shape.

3. What factors determine the shape of the Higgs Field potential?

The shape of the Higgs Field potential is determined by the strength of the Higgs Field and the interactions between the Higgs Field and other particles. The strength of the Higgs Field is determined by the Higgs Boson's mass, while the interactions are influenced by the properties of other particles, such as their mass and charge.

4. How does the Higgs Field potential shape affect the behavior of particles?

The Higgs Field potential shape influences the behavior of particles by determining their mass. The more a particle interacts with the Higgs Field, the greater its mass will be. This is why some particles have more mass than others, and it also explains why the Higgs Boson is often referred to as the "God particle" because it gives mass to all other particles.

5. Is the Higgs Field potential shape constant?

No, the Higgs Field potential shape is not constant. It is thought to have changed over time since the beginning of the universe, and it may continue to change as our understanding of particle physics evolves. This is an area of ongoing research and study in the field of particle physics.