Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High IQ Society's Culture-Fair Test Bogus!

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    I took the High IQ Society's Culture-Fair test. It's very basic. Many people have claimed that this particular test is the most accurate out of all on-line IQ test. I wholeheartedly disagree, the Mensa workout is far more accurate. All of the tests on HIQS's site are a part of an obvious ploy. In particular, the Culture-Fair test is cunningly rigged so you can recieve a 126 (the score you need to be admitted to the society) regardless of how dumb you are in reality. Then, after you become souped about your grade, they commence to asking for a $59.99 admissions fee to become a HIQS member. I cannot believe that there are fools that pay to become members of this club. Suggestion, if you are insecure about you own intelligence and need a bias, non-impeccable, man-made test to boost your ego to the point of engrossing narcissim, goto your psychotherapist and get administered a REAL i.q test.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2
    Of course it's bogus! What kind of society sells merchandise to non-members anyway?

4. Oct 26, 2004 #3
    Are you suggesting the High IQ test is too easy?

I have never done other proper IQ tests. For those of you who have done both, which one generally gives a higher score?

5. Oct 26, 2004 #4
    Most online scores give an inflated IQ score of normally 20 points above your true IQ score. So if you score a 110 on an online IQ test, you're basically a troll.

6. Oct 26, 2004 #5
    90 is an adequate score. Since 100 is average. :S

I would doubt that online scores are inflated up to 20 points over your actual IQ. I would think it varies drastically between people.

7. Oct 26, 2004 #6
    Yes, you are right it does vary. Some people who have done lots of online IQ tests find that they score higher than others who have never done online IQ tests.

So, this means that trolls are able to function better at tests if they practice.

I've never had a professional IQ test, but online scores put me at around 165 - obviously inflated by at least 20 points.

8. Oct 26, 2004 #7
    I randomly chose stuff and got 94.

9. Oct 26, 2004 #8
    Online IQ are BS. Don't trust them. I've gotten scores from 90-200+. Real IQ I think really don't mean much seeing how IQ's can change and we can't even define intelli
    gence.

10. Oct 27, 2004 #9
    Real IQ test

Never trust a multiple choice IQ test. Real IQ tests require you to put together puzzles and things of that sort. The real ones are very insulting to the intelligence because instead of asking you to work out matrices and complex trig problems, they ask you to put together kiddie tangrams and interpret rudimentary proverbs. Authentic IQ tests are really easy. Don't ask me my score because I am not that pretentious.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  11. Oct 27, 2004 #10

Oddly my online score is lwoer than my real one typically (and by real i mean the score the legitimate psychologist gave after taking a real IQ test) probably because the online one didn't adjust for age properly. (i'm only 17)

12. Oct 27, 2004 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am terrible at IQ tests.

Not bad, as in worst than average, but lower than what I would expect.

I think part of the reason is that my english vocabulary is pretty low, and I suffer on any type of english related question. French was my first language and so naturally I am not to good in english.

I am not bad at english, but I can guarantee you that I would need a dictionary for a test, and maybe even a math exam too.

Look at chauncey's post.

tangrams - just learned this word today because it was part of a poster for the faculty of education. I said today!

rudimentary - ???

pretentious- ???

Sad, I know.

Some people may say that I write well, especially on essays. This is due to the fact that I took notice on how to write, and I avoid words I don't know how to use or words that I don't know. I see people who make up words simply because it sounds "cool".

Also, I am very sophisticated. (Spell?). When someone asks a question, I often think so deeply into it that I forget that it is an easy question. Because I pay attention to the words, grammar mistakes can make questions hard to understand. I then think a million ways to re-word it, and therefore, there are millions of different questions.

Other things too. I can't pronounce some of the new english words I read in books. I still don't have Pythagorean down yet! I get messed up with french/english syllables.

DAMMIT!

Note: Because I'm french, I'm born to do math. :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  13. Oct 27, 2004 #12
    pith ag or ian

14. Oct 28, 2004 #13

rudimentary = basic principles

pretentious = showy

do you understand now?

15. Oct 28, 2004 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm just giving examples on why some people would score lower than others.

Lack of sleep can lower your score too!

16. Oct 31, 2004 #15

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hate when questions come up that are clearly aimed towards a certain group of people.

For example, history... I'm a Canadian, so why should I be asked US history qestions?

Not that I could answer Canadian history, I hate learning history... bunch of memorizing...

17. Oct 31, 2004 #16

One test gives you 165, another will give you 90 believe me. I have had the same experience... Those test are worth nothing...

marlon

18. Oct 31, 2004 #17

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got curious and took one. I scored 151, which is apparently "exceedingly genius" and only applies to less than 1% of the population. Well goly gee! I guess I did discover calculus! :rofl:

The test was entirely composed of (pretty easy) true or false questions. Then I was prompted to 'purchase my complete psych makeup' or something like that. :rofl:

19. Oct 31, 2004 #18
    Which test you do Alkatran? I will take it on so we can compare results. I think this is the only way that some IQ-test has a little value...

regards
    marlon

20. Oct 31, 2004 #19

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.iqtest.com/
    ->
    "Click here to begin"
    "Take the full 38 question test"
    "Click here to begin"

The test took me very little time.

21. Oct 31, 2004 #20
    i got 148... stupid questions though...

i think i should recieve an extra 10 points because i ain't no native english-speaker... :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

thanks, then that's 158 hiiiihaaa

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?