High order differential equations: undetermined coefficients

In summary, the method of undetermined coefficients is used to find a particular solution yp(t) to the differential equation y'''-y'=te^(-t)+2cos(t), which should have the form t(At+B)e^(-t)+Ccos(t)+Dsin(t). However, there was a mistake in the attempt at a solution where the LHS was not correct and needed to include a third root, resulting in the correct answer being t(At+B)e^(-t)+Ccos(t)+Dsin(t). The characteristic equation is third order, so there should be three roots.
dmoney123

Homework Statement

If the method of undetermined coefficients is used to find a particular solution
yp (t) to the differential equation y'''-y'=te^(-t)+2cos(t) should
have the form: ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

LHS

r^3-r=0

roots= 0, 1

y_c(t)=c_1e^tRHS

te^(-t)+2cos(t)

(At+B)e^(-t)+Ccos(t)+Dsin(t)

correct answer given however is

t(At + B)e^(-t) + C cos(t) + D sin(t)

I don't know how that t in front got there.. It would make sense if my LHS gave e^-t. but i don't think it does.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello dmoney,

Your LHS should be yc(t) = c1et + c2e(0*t) = c1et + c2

missed that ... c3e-t

Your characteristic equation is third order in r. How many roots are there?

SteamKing said:
Your characteristic equation is third order in r. How many roots are there?

right... 3 roots...

so r^3-r=0

r=0, r=1, and... r=-1

-1-(-1)=0

I always get stuck on the stupidest mistakes.

I really appreciate it! thanks

1. What are high order differential equations?

High order differential equations are equations that involve derivatives of a function up to a certain order. For example, a third order differential equation would involve the third derivative of a function.

2. What are undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients are the unknown constants that are used to solve a high order differential equation. These coefficients are determined by the type and order of the equation, as well as any initial or boundary conditions that are given.

3. What is the process for solving high order differential equations with undetermined coefficients?

The process for solving these types of equations involves setting up a system of equations using the given equation and initial/boundary conditions. This system can then be solved to determine the undetermined coefficients, which can then be used to find the particular solution to the differential equation.

4. What are the limitations of using undetermined coefficients to solve high order differential equations?

Undetermined coefficients can only be used to solve a limited number of types of high order differential equations, such as equations with constant coefficients. They also cannot be used to find general solutions, only particular solutions.

5. Are there any other methods for solving high order differential equations?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving high order differential equations, such as the method of variation of parameters, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of equations or situations.