Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High temperature spiral sleeves

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    Hi.

I want use high temperature spiral sleeves which should withstand around 300 deg C and I want wrap these sleeves around power cables which are passed in enclosure having thermal block and we will heat this block up to 400 deg C

Please suggest me how to overcome and suggest best suitable spiral sleeves.

Thank you

Rajesh

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2
    What is the purpose of the sleeves? Are the power cables spirals?

My initial thought would be some sort of ceramic for temperature and and electric insulation (assuming you want those). However thermal expansion will make material choice critical.

They could be powder coated and sintered.

Another option would be some sort of fiberglass/fiberrock. This would give more flex, but less thermal conductivity.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    Sound similar to this - Taylor 2510

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Gotta love this part of the specs....

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5
    The power cables are normal cables only and these cables will melt for around 100 deg C so I want to wrap these sleeves around these cables.

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6
    Wrapping the cables will likely not help. Power cables generate heat. So with heat from outside and heat from the cable, they will likely overheat. Thermal insulation will hurt, not help your problem. You might still need to insulate them for other reasons though.

In addition there are electrical considerations for any insulation.

It should be moderately easy to design a solution, but I suspect it will need to be designed. That means spending the money on an engineer.

My initial thought would be to use a higher temperature cable, perhaps a tungsten or titanium alloy? Aluminum melts at 660º C. But I don't know how it behaves at 400º C. It might work.

Another solution might be to use metal pipes as electrical conductors and run a cooling fluid inside. But I doubt that would be as cheap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook