High voltage charge & same polarity on two concentric rings

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a second ring with the same polarity and a higher potential to push the charges inside a charged ring to its inner surface. The purpose of this is to maximize the forces inside the ring for a specific application without increasing the voltage potential.
BernieM
I have a charged ring with a high voltage potential.

As I see it the charges repel from each other and so position themselves around the outside of the ring.

I want to push the charge to the inside surface of the ring and so I envisioned a 2nd ring positioned concentrically just outside this ring, with the same polarity at equal or higher potential, to push the charge on the inner ring to the inside of it. Seems like it would work but will it really?

Physics news on Phys.org
BernieM said:
I have a charged ring with a high voltage potential.

As I see it the charges repel from each other and so position themselves around the outside of the ring.

I want to push the charge to the inside surface of the ring and so I envisioned a 2nd ring positioned concentrically just outside this ring, with the same polarity at equal or higher potential, to push the charge on the inner ring to the inside of it. Seems like it would work but will it really?
It seems like it should work. What is the application?

To maximize the forces inside the ring for positioning of a contained field and reducing the diameter of it without having to increase the voltage potential (eeking out a bit more from what's there rather than have to increase the voltage)

What is high voltage charge?

High voltage charge refers to an electric charge that has a greater amount of energy per unit of charge compared to a lower voltage charge.

How is high voltage charge measured?

High voltage charge is typically measured in units of volts (V) and can range from thousands to millions of volts.

What is the effect of high voltage charge on two concentric rings with the same polarity?

When two concentric rings have the same polarity and are charged with high voltage, they will repel each other due to the electrostatic force between like charges.

Can high voltage charge be dangerous?

Yes, high voltage charge can be dangerous and potentially fatal if proper safety precautions are not taken. It can cause electric shock, burns, and damage to electrical equipment.

What are some practical applications of high voltage charge on two concentric rings with the same polarity?

One practical application of high voltage charge on two concentric rings with the same polarity is in electrostatic precipitators, which use high voltage to remove particles from gas streams. Another application is in electrostatic motors, where the repulsion between charged concentric rings causes them to rotate and generate mechanical energy.