1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High voltage charge & same polarity on two concentric rings

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    I have a charged ring with a high voltage potential.

As I see it the charges repel from each other and so position themselves around the outside of the ring.

I want to push the charge to the inside surface of the ring and so I envisioned a 2nd ring positioned concentrically just outside this ring, with the same polarity at equal or higher potential, to push the charge on the inner ring to the inside of it. Seems like it would work but will it really?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It seems like it should work. What is the application?

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    To maximize the forces inside the ring for positioning of a contained field and reducing the diameter of it without having to increase the voltage potential (eeking out a bit more from what's there rather than have to increase the voltage)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook