Higher Order ODE - Multiple Complex Roots?

In summary: So, the conversation is about finding the correct roots and coefficients for a differential equation with complex roots and coefficients. In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the roots and coefficients for a differential equation with complex roots, including the definitions of double roots, complex conjugate roots, complex conjugate double roots, and multiple complex conjugate roots. It also mentions the difference between equations with real coefficients and those with complex coefficients.
kape
Hello, I have two questions about this problem:

[tex] (D^4 + 5D^2 + 4)y = 0 [/tex]

y(0) = 10
y'(0) = 10
y''(0) = 6
y'''(0) = 8

[tex] \lambda^4 - 5\lambda^2 + 4 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (\lambda^2 + 4) (\lambda^2 + 1) [/tex]

Until here I am fairly sure that I didn't mess it up..
But I'm not sure if I have the roots correct. Are the roots:

Root1:
[tex] \lambda^2 = -4 [/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \pm\sqrt-4 [/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \pm\sqrt-1 \cdot \pm\sqrt4[/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \pm2i [/tex]

Root2:
[tex] \lambda^2 = -1 [/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \pm\sqrt-1 [/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \pm1i [/tex]

So this is a complex double root (I think?) and the equation should be:

[tex] y = e^{\gamma x} [ (A_1 + A_2x) cos\omegax + (B_1 + B_2x) sin\omegax ] [/tex]

Making it:

[tex] y = e^{(0)x} [ (A_1 + A_2x) cos2x + (B_1 + B_2x) sinx ] [/tex]

* [Question 1]: Is this the right way to proceed?

Because, I finished the problem and it turned out to be wrong... (and it took a long time to differentiate it 3 times too.. and even longer to check it again.. twice.. *sigh*)

Also, I'm not sure exactly how I am supposed to find [tex] \inline \gamma [/tex] in [tex] \inline e^{\gammax} [/tex]...

Is it right to think that if the root is [tex] \inline \lambda = 5 \pm 3i [/tex] then [tex] \inline \gamma [/tex] is 5 and [tex] \inline \omega [/tex] is 3? (making the equation:)

[tex] y = e^{5x} [ (A_1 + A_2x) cos3x + (B_1 + B_2x) sin\omegax ] [/tex]

But this must be wrong because what if the other root has a value added to the multiple of the i value too?

* [Question 2] How do you find [tex] \inline \gamma [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
So this is a complex double root (I think?)
Nope -- you have four distinct roots, none of them are a double root.

Just checking, I'm pretty sure it's just a typo but your indicial equation(with a lambda)has a minus where there should be a plus, but you still factor it the way it should be, but just fyi

yah, you've got 4 roots, remember, complex roots always come in pairs like that('cuz of the +- nature of the quadratic equation), you're never going to get a root that's JUST +2i, it's always going to be + or - 2i, so you don't need to worry about that double root jazz

Sometimes you do. For example, his differential operator could have been:

(D² + 1)²

which does have double roots.

schattenjaeger said:
Jyah, you've got 4 roots, remember, complex roots always come in pairs like that('cuz of the +- nature of the quadratic equation), you're never going to get a root that's JUST +2i, it's always going to be + or - 2i, so you don't need to worry about that double root jazz
...for real coefficients.

How's about:

[tex]\lambda^2-4i\lambda-4=0[/tex]?

:smile:

We were talking about differential equations with real coefficients so a characteristic equation like that would never occur.

In order to have double complex roots, since in an equation with real coefficients roots are always in complex conjugate pairs, your equation would have to be of at least 4th order as Hurkyl said.

Oh I see.. four distinct roots! Thank you. I managed to solve the problem without any difficulties!

I guess I was muddled with the definitions of roots...

I've been looking through my textbook but I'm still not exactly sure of the definitions..

-----------------
Am I right to think:

- Double Root: Where two "roots" are the same; [tex] \inine (a - 1)^2, a_1 = 1, a_2 = 1 [/tex]

- Complex Conjugate Roots: Where the roots are [tex] \inline \pm \omegai [/tex] (does conjugate mean +/- ?)

- Complex Conjugate Double Roots: Like... (D^2 + 1)^2

- Multiple Complex Conjugate Roots: actually, I don't quite understand what this is. What IS this? And how do you find gamma??

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
We were talking about differential equations with real coefficients so a characteristic equation like that would never occur.
Yeah - but you can have differential equations with complex coefficients, eg. vibroelastic stiffness. It's not completely correct to suggest that the quadratic equation throws up conjugate roots always.

It's worth pointing this out to the OP.

FAQ: Higher Order ODE - Multiple Complex Roots?

1. What is a higher order ODE?

A higher order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. The order of an ODE is determined by the highest derivative present.

2. What are complex roots in the context of ODEs?

In the context of ODEs, complex roots refer to the solutions of the characteristic equation of a higher order ODE that involve complex numbers. These roots can be expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. How do multiple complex roots affect the solution of a higher order ODE?

Multiple complex roots in the characteristic equation of a higher order ODE can result in repeated solutions, making it necessary to use a general solution that includes a linear combination of terms involving both real and imaginary numbers.

4. Can higher order ODEs with multiple complex roots be solved analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve higher order ODEs with multiple complex roots analytically using methods such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. What are some real-world applications of higher order ODEs with multiple complex roots?

Higher order ODEs with multiple complex roots have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For instance, they can be used to model the behavior of electrical circuits, oscillating systems, and fluid flow, among others.

Back