Higher temperature gradient result in heat traveling further/faster?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
examorph
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have been playing around with a simulation software package and ran a heat transfer simulation however, to me the results did not seem intuitive. From my understanding the distance heat travels in a specific amount of time is proportional to the temperature difference, for example, if the temperature difference is large then heat will travel faster than if a smaller temperature difference. I had ran this simulation at two different temperatures:

350 K: https://imageshack.com/i/gh2ybgp
271 K: https://imageshack.com/i/euj54bp

Both with an initial temperature of 270 K. I would have thought that the 350 k simulation would have a different profile in which the temperature would have traveled further. Is this simulation incorrect or am I just looking at these results wrong?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The temperature scales are different in the two pictures. If you can persuade your software to use the same color shadings for the same temperatures (you may have to use red for anything greater than, for example, 275) you'll get results that match your intuition better.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for answering my question, I thought about this and it raised another related question.

If I look at it now with the temperature scales currently set the heat is shown traveling the same distance at that point in time on both wall temperatures (it reaches the 270 K (blue) temperature at the same time), does this mean that the heat does not travel further when the temperature gradient is increased but instead travels the same distance in larger "quantities"?
 
Could anyone please let me know if this is correct or am I looking at it wrong?
 
That isn't what these images say. Change the scale so that red is at 271 for both images and then look. You will see that nearly the entire figure is red. You are just confusing yourself because you have the scales set differently.