Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest achievable compression frequency

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    I am wondering what the upper limit for frequency is currently as far as audio signal generators go.

Basically I want to know how high of a frequency I can get on a compression wave. I don't mean the theoretical limit based on the atomic spacing in the medium, but rather if I want to buy a signal generator (speaker) how high I will be able to get. Ultimately I am interested in creating a standing wave with very small widths for the compression region. I am thinking in the 10's to 100's of GHz but I don't know if such frequencies are realizable. I am suspecting that if it is going to be possible that piezoelectrics are going to be required.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2
    Piezo materiels do have a very high potential frequency response. Even still, a thin ferromagnetic membrane could be better.

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    do you have any idea of what frequencies could be achieved though? I am less interested in how it is done, just what can be done, or is anticipated being able to be done.

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4
    Yeah, I don't know jeberd. Maybe some expert will jump in. If not, maybe you could re-phrase the question and post it in the General Physics section. I've had luck there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?