Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hodge duality and some properties

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    So we know that [Hodge duality](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodge_dual) works this way

$$⋆(dx^i_1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^i_p)= \frac{1}{(n-p)!} \epsilon^{i_1..i_p}_{i_{p+1}..i_n} dx^{i_{p+1} } \wedge dx^{i_n}$$

where p represents the p in p-form and n is the dimensional number.

My question is: How does hodge duality work on the imaginary number "i" on one hand and on partial derivative like $$\partial_x\alpha$$ let us say on the other where $$\alpha$$ is a complex function.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is this in GR rather than in the differential geometry forum? The formula you've written is not correct on Lorentzian-signature manifolds.

However, in Euclidean signature, this is correct:

And it means exactly the same thing if you make all of your variables complex.

The catch is that on a complex manifold, one is usually more interested in taking the Hodge dual and the complex conjugate simultaneously.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Thanks. I would appreciate if we could move this to the other section or if you could guide me so that I can move it. On the other hand, I want to ask you to please elaborate on your answer, because this answer doesn't make it clear to me if we have for example $$\star{(i\partial _x \alpha)}$$ it is also the partial differential that is worrying me. @Ben Niehoff

5. Feb 1, 2015 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is ##\alpha##?

6. Feb 1, 2015 #5
    Any complex function, I mentioned that in the given. @Ben Niehoff

7. Feb 1, 2015 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, a function is a 0-form. What's the Hodge dual of a 0-form?

8. Feb 1, 2015 #7
    $$-1/3 (i \partial _x \alpha) dx \wedge dy \wedge dz?$$ @Ben Niehoff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook