Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hollow glass prism

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1
    i have recently made a hollow prism for my science exhibition in my school ... to find refractive indices of fluids.

i made it using 3 rectangular pieces of glass (0.5cm) on a glass triangular base ..with obviously a hollow part in the middle
    it worked perfectly fine with water i got n=1.33
    then my sir came ahead and asked me a question ... how do you find the error in the angle of refraction due to using the thick glass ... i didnt know ..
    this is where i reached .. glass is amorphous
    so i measured the angle of incidence to be 90 degrees and then i measured the angle of refraction(without anything in the middle of the prism)
    i found the difference (which is 1 degree) and multiplied by 2 (as i just found error of 1 glass.)
    is my theory correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This looks like the measurement uncertainty for angles. The glass will influence the measurement if it does not have the same thickness everywhere, but with an angle of incidence of 90 degrees I don't see how you want to see that.

What did you get as refractive index for air?

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3
    i think i got my answer my theory was just wrong ...
    the

5. Dec 12, 2014 #4
    @mfb

i know where i went wrong ... actually you cant find the error of the hollow prism .. it is just like you have a very small glass prism in a water/liquid prism .. the error in the measurement of r will be different for each case

6. Dec 12, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IF the glass sides have flat, parallel sides, how much would you expect the angle to be changed by passing through them, with air on both sides? Apply Snell's law at each surface. It would be very easy to calculate the result for a small angle between the faces - Snell's law again. What error can you permit in your overall measurements?

7. Dec 12, 2014 #6
    it would differ for different angle of incidences ... because it is a sine proportion ...

8. Dec 12, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why, if the faces are parallel? Angle r for the first face is the same as angle i for the second face.
    Why would this not apply?

9. Dec 12, 2014 #8
    okay guys ... i figured it out
    i think there will be no error ..
    thank you sophiecentaur
    it is because the angle of incidence will be the same as angle of refraction on face 1 as well as face 2 .
    there will be lateral deviation but we dont actually need that ...
    our aim is the angle of incidence and the angle of emergence and we get that ...
    this is the pic of my prism if you want to see it
    DSC00815.JPG

10. Dec 12, 2014 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should find this an interesting exercise. Of course, the method is full of possible imperfections and sources of error but you should get a good ball park figure for water and some other liquids. It could be interesting to see how the result changes when the path through the prism is symmetrical and when it's not. How do you plan to plot the ray paths?

11. Dec 12, 2014 #10
    we have a soft wood board and pins .. the classic good ol' lab ways.
    thanks how do i close this thread?

12. Dec 12, 2014 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just stop writing - it will slowly sink to the bottom!:)
    Good old board and pins. I don't think the glass thickness will affect your accuracy too much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook