Holonomic constraints integrating factor question

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of constraint for a rolling disk and how they are special cases of general linear differential equations. It is mentioned that a constraint condition of this type is holonomic only if an integrating function can be found, but it is shown that this is not possible for equations 1 and 2. The solution is to try and find an integrating factor, but upon substitution into eq 4., it is found that the equations are not solvable, proving that there is no such integrating factor for equations 1 and 2.
eyenkay
Ok, here's the question, have patience with my terrible latex skills...

Homework Statement

The equations of constraint of the rolling disk:
dx - asin(theta)d(phi) = 0 -> 1.
dy + acos(theta)d(phi) = 0 -> 2.
are special cases of general linear diff-eqs of constraint of the form:
[tex]\sum[/tex]g_i(x1,...,xn)dxi = 0 -> 3.

A constraint condition of this tupe is holonomic only if an integrating function f(x1,...,xn) can be found that turns it into an exact differential. Clearly the fn. must be such that
[tex]\delta[/tex](fg_i)/[tex]\delta[/tex]x_j = [tex]\delta[/tex](fg_j)/[tex]\delta[/tex]x_i -> 4.

for all i[tex]\neq[/tex]j. Show that no such integrating factor can be found for either of equations 1 or 2.

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that when I put either equation 1 or 2 into 3, i can cancel the df, and I am left with the original equation, but with the sign backwards (ie 1 becomes dx + ..., and 2 becomes dy - ...). I don't know if this actually means anything...

I am wondering if I can possibly arrange eq 4. so that i have something to integrate, and show that f diverges...? I don't know how to show that there is no such f...

Anybody have any tips or ideas?
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem is to start by writing down the integrating factor that you are trying to find. That is, you need to try and find a function f(x1,...,xn) such that eq 4. is satisfied. Once you have done this, you can then substitute the equations 1 and 2 into eq 4. and try to solve for your integrating factor. You will find that the equations will not be solvable, as the left-hand side of eq 4. will not equal the right-hand side. This will demonstrate that it is impossible to find an integrating factor for either equation 1 or 2.

What is a holonomic constraint?

A holonomic constraint is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between the coordinates of a system. It can be used to restrict the motion of a system to a certain path or surface.

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to simplify the process of solving differential equations. It is multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it easier to integrate.

How are holonomic constraints and integrating factors related?

Holonomic constraints can be used to simplify the process of solving differential equations by transforming them into integrable form. This is achieved by finding an integrating factor that satisfies the given holonomic constraint.

What is the purpose of using holonomic constraints and integrating factors?

The use of holonomic constraints and integrating factors can help in solving complex systems of differential equations, which are commonly encountered in physics and engineering problems. They can also help in understanding the underlying mathematical structure of a system.

What are some examples of systems that can be solved using holonomic constraints and integrating factors?

Some examples include simple pendulums, oscillating circuits, and damped harmonic oscillators. These systems can be modeled using differential equations and solved using holonomic constraints and integrating factors.