1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holonomic constraints integrating factor question

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    Ok, heres the question, have patience with my terrible latex skills...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equations of constraint of the rolling disk:
    dx - asin(theta)d(phi) = 0 -> 1.
    dy + acos(theta)d(phi) = 0 -> 2.
    are special cases of general linear diff-eqs of constraint of the form:
    [tex]\sum[/tex]g_i(x1,...,xn)dxi = 0 -> 3.

A constraint condition of this tupe is holonomic only if an integrating function f(x1,...,xn) can be found that turns it into an exact differential. Clearly the fn. must be such that
    [tex]\delta[/tex](fg_i)/[tex]\delta[/tex]x_j = [tex]\delta[/tex](fg_j)/[tex]\delta[/tex]x_i -> 4.

for all i[tex]\neq[/tex]j. Show that no such integrating factor can be found for either of equations 1 or 2.

2. Relevant equations
    above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found that when I put either equation 1 or 2 into 3, i can cancel the df, and im left with the original equation, but with the sign backwards (ie 1 becomes dx + ..., and 2 becomes dy - ...). I dont know if this actually means anything...

I am wondering if I can possibly arrange eq 4. so that i have something to integrate, and show that f diverges...? I dont know how to show that there is no such f......

Anybody have any tips or ideas?
    Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?