Home experiment - annhialation

In summary, an experiment similar to this was described in a beginner's physics textbook from the 1960s that used a mildly radioactive substance to create visible "sparks" when radiation interfered with the substance.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I read once that there is a home experiment that let's you see particles annhialating. I think it has to do with putting some radioactive material in a jar with a liquid and the you see little blinks of light? I don't remember any of the details or anything. Were can I find more information about this? Or could someone tell me how to do it?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you may be referring to a "cloud chamber", but not sure.

But the particles aren't annihilating, they're just decomposing to give off energy in a cloud chamber.

joyful55 said:
But the particles aren't annihilating, they're just decomposing to give off energy in a cloud chamber.

Huh? The visible track is the condensation of vapor in the path of ionizing radiation, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber.

daniel_i_l said:
I read once that there is a home experiment that let's you see particles annhialating. I think it has to do with putting some radioactive material in a jar with a liquid and the you see little blinks of light? I don't remember any of the details or anything. Were can I find more information about this? Or could someone tell me how to do it?
Thanks.
sounds like liquid scintillation to me, although it doesn't involve any particles annihilating, and I'm not sure what you'd be able to find around the home that would provide enough scintillation light.

Liquid scintillation is almost always used to count beta and alpha emitters. You'd probably need a relatively high amount of activity, a really dark room and some good eyes to be able to see the scintillation light from anything other than the more commonly used liquid scintillation solutions (the ones I worked with were known as POP and POPOP and required special disposal procedures)

How do I make those kinds of things at home?

daniel_i_l said:
Thanks.

I read about an experiment like that when I was a kid. It was in an old physics book too, a beginers book from the sixties. I think the source of radiation was a mildly radioactive substance that the don;t use in retail products anymore. It was basically just phosphoresent paint for the numbers on a clock so you could read it in the dark, by there were traces of radium or something in the paint so that it glowed stronger than the glow in the dark paint you get at a craft store (which simple absorbes light and radiates it later, I believe)

regardless, for the experiment you were supposed to put in paint scrapings in a jar filled with something (sorry, don't remember what) and the radiation cased visible "sparks" as it interfered with the substance in the jar. Sorry this is just from memory and I never was able to by the stuff meantioned in the old book. It was from a bygone era--ah the good old days when coke contained cocaine, paint contained lead, and radioactive isotpoes were available to five year olds.

1. What is annihilation?

Annihilation is a process in which particles and their antiparticles collide and are completely converted into energy.

2. How can I perform an annihilation experiment at home?

To perform an annihilation experiment at home, you will need a particle accelerator, such as a Van de Graaff generator, and a target containing particles and their corresponding antiparticles. The particles and antiparticles will collide and produce energy, which can be detected using tools such as a Geiger counter.

3. What are the safety precautions for conducting an annihilation experiment at home?

Since annihilation experiments involve high-energy particles, it is important to take necessary safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and ensuring that the particle accelerator is used properly and in a controlled environment.

4. What are the potential applications of studying annihilation?

Studying annihilation can provide insights into the fundamental particles and their interactions, which can have implications for fields such as particle physics and cosmology. It can also be useful in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which utilizes annihilation to detect and map the distribution of radioactive substances in the body.

5. What are some examples of annihilation in nature?

Annihilation can occur naturally in high-energy environments, such as in the center of stars or during cosmic ray collisions. It is also a common process in particle accelerators and is used in medical applications, as mentioned before. Additionally, some types of radiation therapy for cancer treatment involve controlled annihilation to target and destroy cancer cells.