Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homeland Security Watching What You Read

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't find anything in the article that said that.

4. Dec 17, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

"[The Agents] brought the book with them, but did not leave it with the student, the professors said. "

If everything was fine why didn't they just give him the book?

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Because the FBI isn't a library....?

6. Dec 17, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I see your point. The DoHS would have given the book to the school's library and then it would be the library that gives the book to the student.

But still, what's with all the fuss. A university requested the book, why should the government care?

7. Dec 17, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder what other books are on that "watch list" that was mentioned.

8. Dec 17, 2005 #7

Evo

I do know that if you subscribe to 2600 you will be automatically placed on the FBI watch list. It was something the security advisor I previously mentioned advised us not to do.

9. Dec 17, 2005 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"2600?" I give up --- what is "2600?"

10. Dec 17, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

2600 is an awsome magazine. Whenever I go to B&N that's the first thing I look through. For those that don't know what 2600 is, it a hacking magazine. You'll find exploit code and ways to reverse engineering things.

http://www.2600.com/

Here is a list of the topics in the current issue:

Questions
    Data Destruction, Covering Your Tracks, and MBSA
    Stupid Webstat Tricks
    A Randomizing WiFi MAC Address AP Hopper
    Fun with the PRO-83
    Getting More out of SSH
    Using Tor and SSH Tunneling
    Reverse Remote Access
    Securing a Drive
    Javascript Injection
    Climbing the SonicWall
    Verizon Fios - Fiber to the Home
    Improving Stealth With Autoruns
    SQL Exploits
    Hexing the Registry
    Not Working at a Call Center
    Securing Your Wireless Network
    The Continuing War on Spyware
    Hacking Image Shack
    I Am Not a Hacker
    Security Pitfalls for Inexperienced Web Designers
    A Peek Inside a Simple ATM Machine
    How to Get Responses Through Deception
    The Ancient Art of Tunneling, Rediscovered
    Forging an Identity

11. Dec 17, 2005 #10
    Getting back to the little red book. Mao was probably the ultimate terrorist of the 20th century. Checking out books on bomb building doesn't go untoiced by Homeland Security either. There is also an aspect of demographics that indicates that a person who reads book X will also read books Y and Z.

http://www.tkb.org/Glossary.jsp#M

12. Dec 17, 2005 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

I had a subscription for 2 years. There is practically never anything new in that mag, and the code is usually old anyway. I think that whole "FBI watchlist" gag was made up by them to boost publicity.

And as far as that red book is concerned - there are better, easier, cheaper, etc ways to make bombs if one chose to do so. It is a fact that DEA watches certain chemicals which are used to make drugs or explosives, through several intermediates. All MDs in US have a DEA number and dispense drugs which are scheduled 2-6+ (schedule 1 being mdma, psilocybin, cocaine, lsd, etc). Its interesting to see how the government controls biological entities - from plants to chemicals, and recently the heated debates about stem cells might place them under the congressional hearing process, and long and behold: we have the politicians who know next to nothing about biology controlling it.

13. Dec 17, 2005 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

Its funny you mentioned this, because as I read every entry I already know what it is about and then some. But I dont see this as anything 'new' - what gives?

14. Dec 17, 2005 #13

Evo

Yep, Dduardo is on the FBI's most wanted list. :surprised

It may be old hat to you, but not to someone just starting out. Subscribing really does get you noticed. Being a hacker used to be a "good" thing, it's gotten a bad name because some people use the knowledge for evil.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  15. Dec 17, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

The pyramid of power is built and based upon the executioners on the very bottom - the cops, the FBI, DEA, etc. When people do the right thing, the very top doesnt matter because they dont have any real power.

16. Dec 18, 2005 #15
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but there is definitely something to this. A couple of months ago, I've checked out four books in the library and they were about the evolution of hacking in general, the people behind them, cryptography and codes. (Not anything remotely related to a how-to-hacking book). Since I never finish reading them I looked it up again to see if it's available and all four of them disappeared. This is the second time it's happened. I thought that was rather odd. That or the Government thought my book selection was odd so it set off some early homeland security alarm.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  17. Dec 18, 2005 #16
    Complain to the Librarian! They might figure something out. Perhaps they were backlogged in reshelving, and that's why they apparently vanished? It's the simplest, least extravagant explanation, that's where I'd start. I'd definitely inquire.

18. Dec 18, 2005 #17
    No, they can have those books.

19. Dec 18, 2005 #18

Evo

The FBI came, seized the books and now have your dna from a hair of yours they found between the pages. They also have your fingerprints. :biggrin:

20. Dec 18, 2005 #19
    I believe he is saying that the books may not have been put back on the shelves yet or gotten lost in a back log of books that need returning to the shelves.
    Also I'd suggest the idea that some aspiring hacker kid may have stolen them. Another idea is that they may have received something requiring them to notify the FBI or some thing of that sort when the books are checked out resulting them deciding it better not to carry the books, someone being against the idea of reporting such information but not wanting to ignore such an order, or maybe they just don't have the proper resources to do for them what they want and got rid of them.

21. Dec 18, 2005 #20
    On wiki there's a list of books that have been banned in various places and at various times but does anyone know if there are certain books which are currently banned in the US if there are any books that are actually banned?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?