Earth's Core: Exploring Kinetic & Potential Energy

In summary, a ball dropped through a hole drilled through the center of the Earth will reach a maximum speed of 0 m/s at the other end of the planet. The time it takes for the ball to travel from one end to the other can be found by solving the differential equation r"= -gr with initial conditions r(0)= R, r'(0)= 0, and then doubling the result. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s, where R is the radius of the Earth and r is the distance between the object and the Earth's core. It is important to leave assumptions and speculations aside and follow the steps outlined by Tide to find the answer. Calculus knowledge is necessary to solve this
Gramps
Hometest help (fixed)

If i drill a hole through the center of the Earth that cross the entire planet and then i drop a ball into the hole:

1. What is going to be the speed of the ball at the other end of the planet?

2. How much time is going to take the ball of going from one end to another?

When the ball reach the core there will be a balance in forces and the kinetic energy will transform in potential energy again, that's why the ball will move to the other end of the planet and not stop in the core.

I think the speed at the end of the planet is going to be 0 m/s because it would had reached a max altitude and the gravity will pull the ball down the hole again.

I'm still having problems finding the time, i think it has to do with gravitational attractions.

Any help will be welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the mass of the Earth were distributed uniformly throughout its volume then the local acceleration due to gravity varies linearly with distance from the center so that

[tex]g(r) = g(r = R) \frac {r}{R}[/tex]

where R is the radius of the Earth and r is the distance from the center. In other words, the motion of the object you drop will be like a harmonic oscillator whose frequency is

[tex]\omega = \sqrt {\frac {g(r = R)}{R}}[/tex]

Last edited:
we haven't talked about frequency yet.

Can i use thos forumla to find time:

t^2 = 2h/g ?

The first problem should be trivial: what is the difference in potential energy at the two ends of the hole? What does that tell you about the kinetic energy of the ball?

"Can i use thos forumla to find time:

t^2 = 2h/g ?"

Since you didn't mention "h" in your original post, I have no idea!

Assuming that the Earth is uniformly dense (which isn't true!) with mass M and radius R, its density is 3M/(4 pi R3). Taking r to be the distance from the center of the Earth at each point on the hole, the mass below the ball is M(r/R)3 so the acceleration due to gravity is GM(r/Rsup3). Taking g to be the acceleration at the surface of the earth, that means that the acceleration of the ball at distance r from the center of the Earth is gr. You will need to solve the differential equation r"= -gr for r(t) with r(0)= R, r'(0)= 0 and then set that equal to R.

Man, I'm having real trouble understanding this.
Ok, I have:

Mass of Earth= 5.974 * 10 ^24 Kg
R of Earth = 6. 374 * 10 ^ 6 m
G = 6.67 * 10 ^ -11
diameter of Earth = 1.27 *10^7 m

I need to know the speed the ball use to go from one end of the hole to the other end. I thought the speed was 0 m/s but i think I'm wrong.

I think that with: [tex]V= \sqrt {2gd} [/tex]

Now i have to look for the time it takes the ball to travel from one point to the other. So the ball is going to pass Earth's core. I don't think there is any height in this problem, i don't know why i gave you that formula.
One point i want to clear is that r = R.
The proffesor told me that we need to use Earth's diameter to find time.

If there is something wrong with something i said, please correct me.
I'm lost, please help. :(

Last edited:
Let's try it this way. Energy conservation gives you

[tex]v^2 = \frac {g_0}{R}(R^2 - r^2)[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac {dr}{dt} = - \sqrt { \frac {g_0}{R} (R^2 - r^2)}}[/tex]

where [itex]g_0[/itex] is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface. Can you determine (integrate!) from that the time it takes for r to go from R to 0? If so, then just double it to find the time to cross from one side to the other.

Tide said:
Let's try it this way. Energy conservation gives you

[tex]v^2 = \frac {g_0}{R}(R^2 - r^2)[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac {dr}{dt} = - \sqrt { \frac {g_0}{R} (R^2 - r^2)}}[/tex]

where [itex]g_0[/itex] is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface. Can you determine (integrate!) from that the time it takes for r to go from R to 0? If so, then just double it to find the time to cross from one side to the other.

The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s?

R is the radius of Earth, and r is the radius between the object and the Earth's core, right? So r = R.

Am i right? :confused:

Gramps said:
The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s?

R is the radius of Earth, and r is the radius between the object and the Earth's core, right? So r = R.

Am i right? :confused:

Leave any assumptions/speculations aside and do what Tide asked u to do.It' s the only way to find the answer.Solving that simple 1-st order ODE.
You should thank him for showing about 90% of the problem,not question his logics.That's bacause HE IS RIGHT.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Leave any assumptions/speculations aside and do what Tide asked u to do.It' s the only way to find the answer.Solving that simple 1-st order ODE.
You should thank him for showing about 90% of the problem,not question his logics.That's bacause HE IS RIGHT.

Daniel.

i know he is right, I'm just confused in the values i need to use. Because if R = r then (R^2 - r ^ 2) = 0, so why adding it in the formula?
I just want to be 100% sure that what I'm doing is right.

But i know Tide knows exactly what he is talking about, but I'm a "n00b" in physics and it's hard for me to understand all this things. <_>

Gramps,

Have you had any calculus at all?

hard

Physics is the hardest subject probably to major in. Thank god I majored in Math. I don't think I could handle all of the problems I have seen via this site.

Tide said:
Gramps,

Have you had any calculus at all?

yes, Calculus I. But math is not my strength, so i have to survive. In other hand, Chemistry I and II was very easy for me.

Thankfully, Physics I and II are the last math classes i have to take :biggrin:

1. What is the Earth's core made of?

The Earth's core is primarily composed of iron and nickel. These metals are in a liquid state due to the high temperatures and pressures at the core.

2. How is kinetic energy involved in the Earth's core?

The movement of the liquid iron and nickel in the Earth's core creates kinetic energy. This kinetic energy contributes to the Earth's magnetic field and its convection currents.

3. What is the potential energy of the Earth's core?

The Earth's core has a large amount of potential energy due to the immense pressure and temperature at its center. This potential energy is constantly released through volcanic activity and plate tectonics.

4. How do scientists study the Earth's core?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the Earth's core, including seismic waves, magnetic field measurements, and computer simulations. They also study rocks and minerals found on the Earth's surface that provide clues about the composition and history of the core.

5. What role does the Earth's core play in the planet's overall energy balance?

The Earth's core is responsible for generating and maintaining the planet's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation. The core also plays a crucial role in the planet's heat budget, as it transfers heat to the surface through convection and helps regulate the Earth's temperature.