1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Homework Help] Solving Seperable Differential Equations

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    Hi, this is my first time posting a homework help problem, so please excuse any mistakes I happen to make :) I actually have two problems I'm stuck on. I have been trying to figure it out, and I'm sure it's a very simple problem, but I guess I'm just not that bright. Anyways, here they are.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Find the particular solution of the differential equation for:

[tex]11x-6y\sqrt{x^2+1}\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]

2) Find all values of k for which the function [tex]y=sin(kt)[/tex] satisfies the differential equation [tex]y''+16y=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

For the first question, you're told to use the following initial condition: [tex]y(0)=4[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So for the first question, what I did was bring the x's to the right side and then got stuck at the integral part, which is this:

[tex]\int-6ydy=\int\frac{-11x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx[/tex]

The left hand side is easy to integrate, however how would I go about integrating the right hand side? That's where I'm getting stuck at. A quick rundown would be very appreciated.

As for the second question, what I think I'm supposed to do is take the derivative of [tex]y=sin(kt)[/tex] twice, so that I have the second derivative of y, then substitute it into the original equation. Would that be right?

Thank you very much for any help. Anything would be appreciated :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    I'd use a u-substitution to integrate the right side.

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3
    as for the second one, if I am understanding you right, that is the right approach

5. Dec 14, 2009 #4
    Alright. Thanks guys :) I think I can do the first question now. But the second question is a tad bit confusing. So let's say I take the first derivative of [tex]y=sin(kt)[/tex] which becomes [tex]y'=kcos(kt)[/tex] right? And then I take the second derivative of that, which is [tex]y''=-k^2sin(kt)[/tex] right?

After finding the second derivative, I plug in [tex]y=sin(kt)[/tex] and [tex]y''=-k^2sin(kt)[/tex] into [tex]y''+16y=0[/tex] which then makes it into [tex]-k^2sin(kt)+16sin(kt)=0[/tex]. What do I do at this point to find all values of k that would satisfy the differential equation [tex]y''+16y=0[/tex]?

Sorry if it's confusing to read. But thanks a lot for the help :)

6. Dec 14, 2009 #5
    Factor out the sin(kt) term on the left hand side and it comes down to finding the zeros of both sin(kt) and 16-k^2, which is easy.

7. Dec 14, 2009 #6
    Oh wow I can't believe I missed something so obvious. Lol thanks a lot for pointing that out to me. I got the right answer now :)

8. Dec 14, 2009 #7
    Really sorry for double posting, but I'm still having troubles with the first question. This is what I've done so far after moving the x's to the right side:

[tex]\int-6ydy=\int\frac{-11x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx[/tex]

[tex]-3y^2=\int\frac{-11x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx[/tex]

U-substitution for right side
    [tex]u=x^2+1[/tex]
    [tex]du=2xdx[/tex]
    [tex]-5.5du=-11xdx[/tex]

[tex]-3y^2=-5.5\int(u^\frac{-1}{2})du[/tex]

[tex]-3y^2=-5.5\frac{u^\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]-3y^2=-11(u^\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

[tex]y=\sqrt{\frac{-11(x^2+1)^\frac{1}{2}}{-3}[/tex]

That's what I'm getting. I know it's wrong, because the intitial condition given was [tex]y(0)=4[/tex] and when I plug in 0 into the x's, I'm not getting 4. What am I doing wrong? (Sorry if I'm bothering you guys by now. I just really need to understand this stuff as I have an exam soon...)

9. Dec 14, 2009 #8
    all your integration steps are missing the "+C"

use y(0)=4 to solve for "C", and add it to your equation!

10. Dec 14, 2009 #9
    Ah, right, forgot about the C. But I dont think that's what the question is asking for. Here's the question (My homework is posted on the web, :))

6jj5zs.jpg

EDIT: Woops, just saw the last line of your last post just now. Let me do that and I'll get back to you.

11. Dec 14, 2009 #10
    Okay, so I got the C which is 2.085145784. So what I get now is [tex]y=\sqrt{\frac{-11(x^2+1)^\frac{1}{2}}{-3}}+2.085145784[/tex] yet when I submit it online, the webworks says I am wrong. I really don't get what I'm doing wrong.

12. Dec 14, 2009 #11
    edit:///

i dunno.

13. Dec 14, 2009 #12
    lol its fine. thank you for the help though, much appreciated.

14. Dec 14, 2009 #13
    The C should be inside the square root because it comes in integration when y is still squared:

[tex]
    \int-6ydy=\int\frac{-11x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx \Leftrightarrow 3\int d(y^2)= 11\int{d(\sqrt{x^2+1)} \Leftrightarrow y^2 =\frac{11}{3} \sqrt{x^2+1} + C
    [/tex]

Now solve for C using the initial condition.

15. Dec 14, 2009 #14
    Ah, thanks to everyone! I got the answer now :)

16. Jan 25, 2010 #15
    An airplane is flying with a velocity of 82.0 at an angle of 24.0 above the horizontal. When the plane is a distance 108 directly above a dog that is standing on level ground, a suitcase drops out of the luggage compartment. Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook