Homework problem(masteringphysics)

• Thread starter xyoonboixkpx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, for the first conversation, the speed of the block after the collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum, and the energy lost can be determined by comparing the initial and final kinetic energies.For the second conversation, the compression of the spring can be calculated by equating the spring force with the weight of the object, and solving for displacement using the spring constant, mass, and acceleration due to gravity.
xyoonboixkpx
*A 50 g ball of clay traveling at speed v_i hits and sticks to a 1.0 kg block sitting at rest on a frictionless surface.

1.What is the speed of the block after the collision?

2. What percentage of the ball's initial energy is "lost"?

*A vertical spring with k = 490 N/m is standing on the ground. You are holding a 5.0 kg block just above the spring, not quite touching it.

1.How far does the spring compress if you let go of the block suddenly?

2.How far does the spring compress if you slowly lower the block to the point where you can remove your hand without disturbing it?

i would appreciate if u would help me with these problems or try to guide me at least ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, law of conservation of mometum.

[tex]m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1v'_1_m_2v'_2[/tex]

thnx^^ anybody know how to do the second one?

first part
mv=m2v2
v2=mv/m2
v2=.05*v/(.05+1)

2)calculate the kinetic energy after hitting the brick using the calculated velocity
1/2mv^2
1/2*(1+.05)*(the above calculated velocity)^2

then reduce it from the starting kinetic energy, then u get the energy that was wasted then u will be able to fine the percentage

the second part of the question is
F=Ke
50=490*e
e=50/490

the other part i still havnt figurd out

xyoonboixkpx said:
thnx^^ anybody know how to do the second one?

You know the initial speed and in part one found the final speed. What are the initial and final kinetic energies?

For the second part, the spring is in equilibrium. The forces acting are the spring force, and the weight of the object.

For the second part, I think it would just be,

Fs = Fg, where Fs is the force of the spring and Fg is the force due to gravity.

So,

kx = mg,

where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the brick in kg, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the displacement.

Solve for x. The numeric sign of the displacement is relative. You could make it positive or negative, but typically the force of a spring is written as,

Fs = -kx.

Related to Homework problem(masteringphysics)

What is "Homework problem(masteringphysics)"?

"Homework problem(masteringphysics)" is an online platform used by students to complete assignments and practice problems related to physics. It offers various interactive features and tools to help students learn and understand physics concepts.

How do I access "Homework problem(masteringphysics)"?

You can access "Homework problem(masteringphysics)" by creating an account on the masteringphysics website and enrolling in a physics course. Once enrolled, you can access the platform through your course page or through the masteringphysics website.

What types of problems can I expect on "Homework problem(masteringphysics)"?

"Homework problem(masteringphysics)" offers a variety of problem types, including multiple-choice, numerical, and conceptual questions. It also includes interactive simulations and videos to help students visualize and understand physics concepts.

Can I get help with "Homework problem(masteringphysics)"?

Yes, "Homework problem(masteringphysics)" offers various resources for students to get help with their assignments. This includes hints, videos, and a discussion board where students can ask questions and receive support from both peers and instructors.

Is "Homework problem(masteringphysics)" free to use?

No, "Homework problem(masteringphysics)" requires a subscription fee for access. However, many universities provide access to the platform for their students as part of their course materials.