How to calculate the location of drops in a falling water shower?

In summary, the problem involves a shower nozzle dripping water onto the floor at regular intervals. The first drop hits the floor at the same time the fourth drop begins to fall. The task is to find the distance of the third and second drops from the nozzle when the first drop hits the floor. Using the formula for distance, the total time is calculated to be 0.662401 seconds. Dividing this by 3 gives the time for each interval. The third drop has traveled this amount of time when the first drop hits the floor, giving a distance of 329 cm from the nozzle. Plugging this into the velocity equation gives a fairly high position for both the second and third drops.
way2fasts

Homework Statement

Water drips from the nozzle of a shower onto the floor 215 cm below. The drops fall at regular (equal) intervals of time, the first drop striking the floor at the instant the fourth drop begins to fall.

a) Find the location of the third drop as measured from the nozzle of the shower when the first drop strikes the floor. in cm below nozel

b) Find the location of the second drop as measured from the nozzle of the shower when the first drop strikes the floor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am going to be honest never have posted here, but I am really confused about this problem, hopefully someone is able to explain this to me.

Well here is what I did, I thought that because there were 4 drops of water i would make t=3t.

then with the x(t)= Xo + 1/2(a)t^2 formula to find out the total time.
0=215+(1/2)(980)t^2
-215=-490t^2
-215/490=t^2
t=.662401

I thought that by getting the total time I would be able to just divide that by 3 to get just T alone so then I would only have to plug the time at that certain interval into a velocity equation. But the problem is when i do this my position is fairly high for 2 and 3, its about 215cm for 2, and 329 cm away from the nozel at 3. can anyone help to show me what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
way2fasts said:
then with the x(t)= Xo + 1/2(a)t^2 formula to find out the total time.
0=215+(1/2)(980)t^2
-215=-490t^2
-215/490=t^2
t=.662401

I thought that by getting the total time I would be able to just divide that by 3 to get just T alone so then I would only have to plug the time at that certain interval into a velocity equation.

Although you handle the -signs in a random way, the result for the time is correct. It is also true that the drops follow each other at t/3 seconds.

But what do you mean on plugging into a velocity equation? You need the distance of the drops from the nozzle. The third drop had traveled for t/3 s when the fourth drop started, that is, when the first one hit the ground. What is its distance travelled?

ehild

1. How is the velocity of a water drop determined?

The velocity of a water drop is determined by the force of gravity acting on the drop, its surface tension, and the air resistance it experiences as it falls.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a water drop?

The velocity of a water drop can be affected by the size and shape of the drop, the density of the liquid it is falling through, and the distance it has fallen.

3. How does the surface tension of water affect the velocity of a water drop?

The surface tension of water can cause a water drop to form into a spherical shape, which reduces air resistance and allows it to fall faster. However, if the drop is too small, the surface tension may not be strong enough to overcome the force of gravity, resulting in a slower velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a water drop be calculated?

Yes, the velocity of a water drop can be calculated using the equation v=√(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the drop has fallen.

5. Why is understanding water drop velocity important?

Understanding water drop velocity is important in many applications, such as raindrop formation, water droplet evaporation rates, and in the design of systems that use water droplets, such as sprinkler systems. It also helps us better understand the behavior of fluids and their interactions with other objects.