Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients.

In summary, the eigenvalues are 1 and -1, and the eigenvectors are vectors giving [math]Av= \lambda v[/itex].
AkilMAI

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the system
x' = 3x + 4y; y' = -2x-3y
satisfying x(0) = 2 and y(0) = -1
Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My method involves linear algebra:
turn the pair of equations into a single first order vector differential equation of the form
v' = Av
where v is a column vector with entries x and y and A is a 2x2 matrix.
A= 3 4
-2 -3
=>det(A-Ir),where r is a constant and I is the identety matrix...=(3-r)(-3-r)+8=r^2-1=>
r1=-1 and r2=1 these are the eigenvectors.Was my approach ok?
Finding egenvectors:
(A-Ir)w_j=|3-1 4 | w1 = 0
|-2 -3+1 | w2 0
this result the system 2w_1+4w_2=0 and -2w_1-2w_2=0 where both w's =0
so the general solution is u=a_1 e^t *|0| +a_2e^-t|0|
|0| |0|
I know i did a mistake here ,was r1=i and r2=-i?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it mandatory to use a certain method to solve the system ? Try reducing your system to a single ODE, either for x, or for y. The resulting equation (also with constant coefficents) will be second order and can be easily integrated.

I have to use this method,yes

So your differential equation is
[tex]\frac{d\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}3 & 4 \\ -2 & -3}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Yes, the eigenvalues are 1 and -1. However, you have found the eigenvectors wrong- the eigenvectors are vectors giveing \(\displaystyle Av= \lambda v[/itex]. For [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex], that is
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}3 & 4 \\ -2 & -3\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2- 1 & 4 \\ -2 & -3- 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}2 & 4 \\ -2 & -4\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
which is the same as 2x+ 4y= 0, -2x- 4y= 0 which have any x, y such that x= -2y as solution.

Do see what you did wrong? You subtracted 1 from one diagonal number and -1 from the other. Instead subtract 1 from both diagonal numbers to get an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 and subtract -1 from both diagonal numbers to get an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -1.

(The definition of "eigenvalue" is that there exist a non-zero vector, v such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex]. If you get 0 as the only solution, you have done something wrong!)\)

Related to Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients.

1. What is a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients?

A homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients is a system of linear equations where all the coefficients are constants and the right side of each equation is equal to zero. This means that all the equations in the system are of the form ax + by + cz = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How is a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients different from a non-homogeneous system?

In a non-homogeneous system, the right side of at least one equation is not equal to zero. This means that the system has a solution that is not equal to zero. On the other hand, in a homogeneous system, the only solution is the trivial solution where all the variables are equal to zero.

3. What is the solution to a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients?

The solution to a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients is called the homogeneous solution. It is a set of values for the variables that satisfies all the equations in the system. This solution can be found by solving the system using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations.

4. How can a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients be represented mathematically?

A homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients can be represented mathematically using matrix notation. The system can be written as AX = 0, where A is the coefficient matrix and X is the vector of variables. This notation allows for efficient and concise representation of the system, making it easier to solve.

5. What are some real-life applications of homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients?

Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients have many uses in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving linear relationships, such as in circuit analysis, chemical reactions, population growth, and network flow. They are also used in optimization problems and data analysis.